Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Multiple records in 1 marionette script

Hey,
I added a small part of a script to explain where I get stuck.
What I want to achieve is to link a record to each component made in the script. I want to use records because i want to filter the data.
Unfortunately, I think only one record can be linked to an object-node. In my example I create 2 records (same name) and only one is visible. Is there a way to associate a record to each piece in the script? It is not necessary to see the records in the oip , if its possible to get the data in a regular worksheet it would be perfect.
A worksheet in the script is possible (used custom nodes #Created by MFarrell) .
In the worksheet I can see the data from the two parts created. Problem there is, if the object instance returns 5 times i get only one worksheet in the resource manager.

Can someone help me out? Maybe i have to approach it differently. Every hint is welcome.

1objectnode2records.vwx

• Marionette Maven
16 hours ago, Nico Vindevogel said:

Is there a way to associate a record to each piece in the script? It is not necessary to see the records in the oip , if its possible to get the data in a regular worksheet it would be perfect.

Hi Nico!

Can you clarify for me, are you hoping to have each of the extruded rectangles have different record data, or are you trying to attach the record data to the entirety of the Marionette object?

Both are possible, I just want to make sure we're on the same page before I take things in an entirely different direction than you're looking for.

Also, if Alan's example helped at all, then that's great as well :) 

Marissa (aka MFarrell ;) I wrote those nodes.)

3 hours ago, MarissaF said:

Hi Nico!

Can you clarify for me, are you hoping to have each of the extruded rectangles have different record data, or are you trying to attach the record data to the entirety of the Marionette object?

Both are possible, I just want to make sure we're on the same page before I take things in an entirely different direction than you're looking for.

Also, if Alan's example helped at all, then that's great as well :) 

Marissa (aka MFarrell ;) I wrote those nodes.)

Hi Marissa,

You are spot on, I want different data for each extruded rectangle.

If it's possible to do that it would be great.

@ Alan, thank you for trying my network.

the worksheet was my first idea, unfortunately i can not filter the data to another worksheet. A better way for me is to work with records.

• Marionette Maven

Hi Nico!

I'm going to do my best to explain this to you. I've attached a file with a modified version of your original Marionette object.

What I did:

Instead of using the Parent PIO node, I used the resulting object from your Linear Extrude nodes as the 'obj' input to all of the record nodes. This will allow the record to attach only to the extruded rectangles rather than the entire Marionette object.

In order to create a report that shows these records, it's very important that in the "Create Report" dialog box that you select "Options..." and check "Search in plug-in objects." The report will not see those objects otherwise.

I increased the lineweight on the nodes that I changed connections on.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I need to clarify anything further.

RecordsAndMarionette_MFarrell.vwx

recordHelp.PNG

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MarissaF said:

Hi Nico!

I'm going to do my best to explain this to you. I've attached a file with a modified version of your original Marionette object.

What I did:

Instead of using the Parent PIO node, I used the resulting object from your Linear Extrude nodes as the 'obj' input to all of the record nodes. This will allow the record to attach only to the extruded rectangles rather than the entire Marionette object.

In order to create a report that shows these records, it's very important that in the "Create Report" dialog box that you select "Options..." and check "Search in plug-in objects." The report will not see those objects otherwise.

I increased the lineweight on the nodes that I changed connections on.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if I need to clarify anything further.

RecordsAndMarionette_MFarrell.vwx

recordHelp.PNG

@MFarrell  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! 

This solves my quest. :)

On 5-2-2017 at 10:24 PM, Alan Woodwell said:

@Nico VindevogelHi I think the issue is the Parent PIO Node. This is used when wrapped into an object. Think this is correct but am sure I stand corrected, but it appears to work as per revised network. Nice bit of work also.

1objectnode2records-01.vwx

@Alan Woodwell I spent hours searching for a solution, and apparently you had it already in minutes. Keep up the good work. And many Thanks.

26 minutes ago, Nico Vindevogel said:

@Alan Woodwell I spent hours searching for a solution, and apparently you had it already in minutes. Keep up the good work. And many Thanks.

@Nico VindevogelThanks, Keep sharing your experiences here in the forum, problems and solutions. I knew very little at the start but with the help of of those wonderful people in this forum I have learnt a bit and am continually learning. Marionette is an open ended world that seems to be only limited by our minds.

• 11 months later...

@Marissa Farrell

@Alan Woodwell

Hi,

the file '1objectnode2records-01 - worksheet.vwx' has been very useful to me, thanks a lot. The only thing that bothered me a little is that I had to rebuild the network to transport the data to a worksheet for different ranges of data. I think I have fixed that using the chunk list node and the mix node. Now there is a wrapper that fills any worksheet with a list of data, as long as that list is organised neatly (values ordered A1, A2, A3, A..., B1, B2, B... etc.)

The attached file has three separate marionette networks. The first creates a number of objects, the second marionette network attaches records to the objects and the third marionette network puts the record data in a worksheet.

All networks should work for any number of objects, and are easily adaptable for added record fields.

Kindest regards,

Wouter van Boekel

Set cell values wrapper.JPG

Basic_MarionetteNetworks_Records_and_Worksheets.vwx

Capture.JPG

• 7 months later...

Hello Wouter,

I'm new to Marionette ( first steps some weeks ago). Trying to make (for the fun of it) a script for a 'cabinet design". So far so good.
Was trying to make a script so all parts of the cabinet would be named in a worksheet, incl. dimensions etc. No results.
According to my VW Dealer this can't be done in Marionette. Ran into your script. Looks promissing. Trying to figure it out.
Q: can you show me how to you link the different networks to each other ( objects to records and records to worksheet)?
Sorry to bother you with a newbee question, but one have to start somewhere 🙂
Best regards, Jan Willem Henssen (Interior) Architect and Furniture Designer