Door Scheduling from Apartment Symbols

Mgmgmg

Hi all,

I am trying to create a simple door schedule for a building. I have 10 houses, each with three floors. Each floor is a symbol. Each symbol contains a number of door in wall PIOs with schedule information, (door number, fire rating, etc...). I would like to keep the houses as symbols, for the obvious reason that I only have to update one, and all ten will update. 

I would like to create a door schedule, which organises the doors by 'house number / floor / door number'. The problem is, because the doors are within symbols, I cannot find a way to assign a unique house number to the doors within each symbol.

Is there a worksheet function that will e.g. call up the parent symbol name for an object within a symbol? Or can anyone suggest a workaround?

(I am working on VW2016 SP6 64bit, Mac OSX 10.10.5)

Many thanks

Could you put each house in a separate layer? Then you could use the Layer as the criteria to separate out the data. You might need to resort to manually editing the database criteria instead of using the automatic criteria builder.   The criteria builder gives you an AND function where everything has to be true to show in the database. You can manually change that to use OR criteria.  The symbol for an OR is a vertical bar |

So a criteria of =((L='Layer-1') & (L='Layer-2')) will never be true because objects can only exist on a single layer.

Change the above to =((L='Layer-1') | (L='Layer-2')) and you will get all of the objects on Layer-2 and all of the objects on Layer-2

If the above doesn't help, give us more information on how your file is structured and we will see what else we can do for you.

Hi both, thanks for your replies.

Alan the problem with that is that you cannot assign a unique prefix to the windows of each house, as each house is represented by a symbol. If I give the doors within the symbol the prefix '01', I cannot then duplicate the symbol and have them show as '02', '03' etc...  they would all just show as '01'.

Pat, the layers would work, although it is not the ideal solution. My file is made up of layers with associated heights and levels for walls etc... for each storey along the lines of:

L00 - Ground

L01 - First

L02 - Second

L03 - Roof

In the end the solution I found was to put the entry '01' in the field 'User field 1' and to create a report with User field 1 in column A and the formula [=(VALUE(A4))+X] where X is the house number minus 1. (Screenshot attached)

I created a new database for each house stacked within the same worksheet to give me the full schedule. Not pretty, but it'll do. The main problem is the lack of flexibility if I want to manipulate the schedule to show different information, i.e. to sort by door type, as the schedule is broken up into separate databases for each house.

Other things I tried, were putting a space object in the symbol, and calling up the space number with GETSPACENUMFOROBJECT, and then trying to get the space number or name to read from the symbol.

It seems the overriding problem is that it is impossible to call up the individual name of a symbol (as can be manually entered in the data tab of the object info palette) or otherwise refer to the specific symbol instance, both in general, and specifically for an item within that symbol. 

This seems to me a fairly obvious functionality given that lots of new build projects are made up of repeated floor plans over multiple floors, but would require a full door / window schedule. Possible wish list item?

Anyway, thanks for your replies, Max

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 13.58.33.png

• 11 months later...

@PatStanfordand @Alan Woodwell,

I'm having a related problem maybe you can help me with. For Unit based design, we are also using symbols. Our Residential Unit symbols only encompass interior walls. All the exterior and shell design lives independently on the DL. Our solution to the whole Unit scheduling issue is to use door types, not individual door I.D.'s. Door Types work well for tracking the interior residential doors on multi-family projects. This way, there's no issue having the same Door I.D. displaying across multiple Units. No issues there.

I am having a frustrating technical issue however. If I want to look at which specific door types occur per a particular Unit type, I should be able to isolate the search based on the Unit symbol. This isn't working however. Whenever I add a symbol name to the search criteria, I get 0 doors, no matter what. Check out the screen shots. Any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,
Matt

before searching within a symbol.png

after adding symbol name to search criteria.png

You have criteria that don't work. The object would have to be both a symbol and a door to make the criteria work.

There is not an easy way to set a criteria that will ONLY find objects that are part of a symbol definition.

Can you post a file with one of your Residential Unit symbols so I can take a look and see if we can find a way to get what you want?

OK...here's a gutted file with just a single floor plan design layer and a single sheet layer with the schedule. Don't be confused by the fact that the 2nd Floor Plan design layer contains all the 1st Floor Residential Unit Plans. It might look like this is a mistake but it's meant to be this way. These are town houses that start on top a podium.

Thanks for the help!

Matt

23 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

Can you post a file with one of your Residential Unit symbols so I can take a look and see if we can find a way to get what you want?

Hey thanks! will do. I ran out of time today unforturnately...I'll send tomorrow.

Issue_scheduling_doors_inside_a_Symbol_mgries.vwx

I have not been able to find a good solution to this. Right now probably your best option would be to create extra layers for each unit type symbol and then just count the doors on that layer. Since you are using symbols, when you change the symbol, the symbol on the extra layer will update and the worksheet should be correct the next time you recalculate.

Criteria Layer is Symbol layer, Type is Door, OnSchedule =1 with the In Symbol check box checked.