Roof rendering

Mik

Does anyone know why this shows up like this? (See attached screen shot.)

I chose a stock Roof Style and Create Roof command and it renders what looks like a leather surface when the render mode is set by component. (Facing gable)

The selected cross gable to the left shows the OIP mode selected by object and it turns black and none of the objects produce any changes (notice Top is a shake roof texture.)

The Overall setting will render but ...

More importantly, it appears to have rendered the bottom of the roof object. The lines of the sides and top of the roof extend past. I have checked all the classes and they appear to be on.

I think more than one problem here but the most annoying is the failure to render the outer sides of the roof object. I am probably missing something simple and hoping one of you knows what it is!

Thanks in advance for your time.

- Mik

VW2017 - SP2 Build 338823

VW2017-RoofRenderProb.jpg

All the "Use at creation" boxes are checked. They do have solid fill selected for the Roof class and the wood shake finish class.

But if I can switch the overall object to a shake roof texture and it shows up then the shake class is fine, correct?

The problem is it shows up at what appears to be the bottom of the roof object. And the eaves and top are just outlined but transparent.

And changing any of the other object locations has no effect.

Alan,

I copied one of the roofs to a new file and it shows up properly! (Top of roof object shows rendering on top of roof.)

I have attached this file here. I copied the roof from the new file back to the old and the old problem returns and the render is black. (Attached screen shot)

Have you seen anything like this before?

I suppose I could copy everything over to the new file and dump the old but ...

CB109-Roof.vwx

VW2017-RoofRenderProb2.jpg

Alan,

This just happened to me again. And what you describe is not the culprit. In my working file I find that some roof faces are class None and others Roof-Main. Both were rendering fine.

Then I needed to add a wall to cover an attic (since I had to use roof faces). I laid the wall atop the wall on the floor layer and went to fit walls to the roof and BAM!

Most of the roofs became black (not connected to where I was drawing) and the outlining problem is back on those that went black. One of the roof faces remained like it should be. So it is inconsistent.

I might also add that at that attempt to fit the walls to the roof, it also deleted most of the wall below. Very destructive. And now its a mess.

I will try to copy to a new file and set everything up again but this seems to be a VW problem.

Add to that, what is the problem with the proper display of things like when changing dimensions or wall types? After you change those, nothing happens unless you change your zoom or move the views around. Really annoying. I guess I will have to do a separate post for that. Just frustrating when up against a deadline!

So get this:

I have another roof layer that represented things before I was trying a different layout. Those roofs appear to have not been disturbed.

So I thought I would try to copy one good one from that layer over to the layer that got clobbered. I selected a roof and as soon as I tried to copy (Ctl- C) it turned black with the outline!

This has to be a bug.

Alan - tried selecting, then selecting another design layer, and returning without deselecting and it did not change from black & the outline.

JimW - When restarting VW the roof stayed black. Also, the one layer I still had in that file that had previously remained okay, was all black after restarting VW.

When I start a new file and copy these into the new file, all the rendering appears correctly.

And this pernicious updating problem continues to persist. I see it also affects roofs. I copied all the roofs to the new file en masse. All but a few showed though the others were there just greyed out like a class was not turned on. I turned on appropriate classes (since this was a new file it starts with a strange combination of things on/off) and could not get it to change. Then I turned them all on. Still no change.

Changed zoom - which usually causes the image to update when this sticking problem happens with dimensions and wall changes - but still no change.

Then I spun it around in 3d and voila! The greyed out roofs appeared.

I think this is buggy. I hope VW is monitoring this.

More on the view update problem: those couple of roofs that would not show up appeared to be fine in all views except Top/Plan. After working with it more, I see that in the Render tab of the OIP, when the Mode is by Object and an Overall texture is chosen, the roof disappears in Top/Plan view.

But if you choose the Top part and assign a texture there, the roof appears in Top/Plan view and renders the chosen texture in other views.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alan,

Sorry for not replying sooner. Things got very hectic for me. In answer to your note above, I don't get the same result. It does not appear to have anything to do with selecting a color.

I don't know what is going on but this combined with other problems in VW2017 have held up my ability to deliver projects to clients so I have defaulted back to VW2015.

Thanks again for taking the time to try to help out! I do really appreciate that.

Regards

@MikI see you have windows 7 Pro.  DO a test for me. Try to render anything with  renderworks. Do you lose all renderworks options once you try. If so this may be related to and issue I had with a missing file not being within the VW2107 rollout. Once i had the file given to me by our Sydney OzACAD office all was resolved. @JimW

Edited by Alan Woodwell