Easer way to search specific forum(s)

Pat Stanford

Question

If you are browsing the topic list for a specific forum and click in the Search button at the top, if you click on the All Content label at the left of the search box you get a list of options of what and where to search. One of these options is for This Forum and limits the search to the current forum you are viewing. If you are viewing a Topic, there are options for This Forum and This Topic.

Unfortunately, this is the only place I can find where you can set the scope of the search.  If you have already started a search and forgotten to limit it to a specific Forum or Topic, there is no way to narrow the scope based on those items other than to hit the back button and redo the search with the proper setting.

I have also not found a way to limit an Advanced Search to a single Forum or Topic. Often I know who wrote a post and what forum it is in, but I end up wading thought post from other Forums to find the one I want.

I would like a way to modify a search that has already been started to limit the scope to specific forums. Maybe a button something like "narrow search to last viewed Forum"

I would like a way to specify an Advanced Search to only search specific forum(s)

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

It's a little hidden for subforums, you can see it only once you select "Topics" in the advanced search, there is a dropdown menu that appears then and lets you focus the search.

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 9.01.52 AM.png

There IS a tool to search just a single thread as well from what I recall but I think we disabled it early on in testing since by default it gave the user multiple search boxes between the top of the screen and the thread body and was confusing. I'll see about adding it back in a cleaner manner with one of the upgrade phases.

• Like 1