VW 10.1 Now Available

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have just upgraded from Vectorworks 8.5.2 with Renderworks 8 installed also to Vectorworks 10.01

This is on a mac 1gb G4

I thought It would update my existing folder and version but I see I have a new folder as described in the read me files. However I didn?t get asked for any old serial numbers

and when tried to add modules it added something (couldn't tell what)

I seem to have a program now that has some better features. more advanced 3d e.t.c but what's happened to all the design features i had like drawing aids & fastners & hardware. e.t.c which I could access when switching to the mech eng workspace.

Now I seem to have a standard and classic workspace and Less features than my old program.

What's up Doc! I don't understand what I?ve done wrong. It cant be as it seems.

Also what do I do about renderworks. Have I got to get enother update for that have I?.

there doesnt seem to be an update available in the uk.

So whats the score. I cant have gained some features but lost more....can I??

Hi,

What VectorWorks 10 package did you purchase? VectorWorks 10 does not actually upgrade VectorWorks 8.5.2 but loads a new copy of VectorWorks. In order for you to have the drawing aids, fasteners & hardware and such you need to purchase VectorWorks MECHANICAL. Is this what you have done? There has been a significant change from the way the mechanical features worked in VectorWorks 8.5.2 and the way they work in VectorWorks 10. All of the mechanical features -- fasteners & hardware, bearings, springs, etc. -- are now "smart" objects and no longer "dumb" groups as in VW 8.5.2. There are also 3D equivalents to most of the 2D objects, also many new drafting and design aids. For this reason, Vectorworks MECHANICAL is a separate package and the mechanical features are no longer part of the basic VectorWorks package.

To see a sample of the new MECHANICAL objects, in the Resource Browser, click on the drop-down menu underneath "Files and Folders" and select the file VW MECHANICAL Sampler.mcd. If the file is not there, click on the button next to "Files and Folders" and select "Add New Favorite Files..." from the menu. Open the Object Libraries folder, select the file VW MECHANICAL Sampler.mcd and click on Open.

These samples will give you an idea of how the hundreds of new "smart" objects in MECHANICAL perform.

If you did not purchase VectorWorks MECHANICAL, or you did and do not have a MECHANICAL serial number, I suggest that you contact customer service and they should be able to help you.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

Hello

Thankyou for the quick response.

I thought I was getting an upgrade from 8.52 . It says in two uk resellers

literature Vectorworks upgrade from 8.x or below (Mac) It was not made clear I

in effect buy the complete 'new' Basic VKWs 10 package making the old one redundant,

for the price of an upgrade. (is that right)

So some of the Mechanical features in the design pallete I had on the 'basic' 8.5.2 package I dont get on the 'basic' 10.1 package unless I pay more for the Mechanical Module.

(I see i can add some fixings but I had a much wider array of drafting aids, holes, fastners e.t.c)

Obvioulsy this is down to the UK disributers 'Computers Unlimited' not making it clear to the companys they sell to what the product now is. Also what about Renderworks? resellers (mac wharehouse in the uk) seemed to think this was part of the new package when I asked about upgrading at the same time I UPGed to VKWs 10

I spoke to 'computers unlimited' who assured me it WAS an upgrade which I suppose it in the sense it is the compleate new basic package. (but they didnt explain this)

But they tell me I hade to buy Rederworks as a Module, more money AGAIN!! even though I own vectorworks 8 that I installed with VKWs 8.5.2.

Obviously this is not your fault, but I kind of feel a bit miss led.

Thanks for being there anyway. And I do like you product.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you but I have been investigating you problem and have found out the following: For VectorWorks 9 the drawing aids & fasteners & hardware that you referred to were shipped as supplemental files on the install CD. They were left off of the CD for VectorWorks 10 and were posted to our web site for download. During a makeover of our web site, they were inadvertently left off but will soon be posted back to the site.

I will keep you informed as to when this will happen. Thanks for your patience in this matter.

Tom Urie

• 1 month later...

Tim,

So sorry I dropped the ball on this. They can be found on our web site at:

http://www.nemetschek.net/downloads/vectorworks/index.html

If this link does not work go to: www.nemetschek.net and click on the following links:

Downloads

VectorWorks General Downloads

The first item in the list is VectorWorks 8.5 Compatibility files. I believe you are on a Mac so download the VW 8 compatibility.sit file. When unstuffed a folder named 8.5 Compatibility will be created. In this folder will be a folder named Plug-ins. From this folder copy the plug-ins you want to use into the Plug-ins folder located in the VectorWorks application folder. There is also a file named Data in the 8.5 Compatibility:Plug-ins folder. Copy its contents into the Data folder located in the Plug-ins folder in your application. After this is done, launch VectorWorks. You will need to use the Workspace Editor to add these commands to your workspace. They are located in the Design category under the Menus tab.

The commands that are not there, such as Cap Screws and Ball Bearings, have been replaced with plug-in objects that you can access through the Resource Browser as I described in a previous posting.

Best regards,

Tom Urie