Missing Sheets & Disappearing Objects

Engraff_Design

Question

Hi everyone,

Been having some odd problems today during one of my projects. For some reason there's been some unexplained data loss from the file I'm on. Yesterday I finished modelling for the day, loaded the file today and whole objects have been missing, symbols gone from the resource browser. Yet, the name of these objects remains. I know that because when I go to recreate the missing object and assign the new symbol the same name as before, it tells me I can't use that name; it's already being used. So that's problem one.

Problem two is I've had sheet layers disappear as well. It gets crazier. So I set up some new sheet layers, and go back to another sheet I'm working on. After I finished annotating some viewports, I notice that all the sheets I've created have completely gone from the list. Like they never existed. I can't understand why at all and it's a major  problem if I lose a sheet that had a load of stuff on it.

Any ideas? I'm on Vectorworks 2011 Fundamentals.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Engraff_Design

1 answer to this question

This sounds like a corrupt file, but VW2011 is so old I don't even have any hardware that will run it to be able to check.

The best idea I can offer as a first step is to create a new file with all of the layers (both design and sheet) as the original file.  Then set your layer options to Active Only and Copy from the original file and Paste into the new file. You probably want to set the Layer Scales to match first and use the Paste in Place command to get as accurate of copy as possible.

The Viewports won't copy/paste directly between files, so you will need to select each one individually in the original file and Group it. Copy the group, go to the new file and Paste and then Ungroup so you can edit it.

I don't think Vectorworks, Inc. is offering support on a 7 year old version of the program anymore.  Hopefully someone else can offer some better ideas.