Need to draw a Boat

@Jan-Burger TROOST I've had to deal with creating ship hulls, though relatively simple and not as complex as yachts, in VW and ran into various issues. As explained above nurbs and lofting are basically the way to go but it requires (quite) a bit of trial and error depending on the boat shape as things don't always work as expected. Rhino would be a better option for this (i.e. NURBS) if the boat is not extremely complex and it often imports well into VW. The more complex the boat model is the greater the chance that you would need additional tools.  I also use it to "fix" 3D DWG files to get a cleaner import at times but sometimes they are just too messy to fix nicely.

VW's unfolding does have its limitations, like the nurbs tools and I haven't been able to get a unfold of a double curved surface that looks proper.

Otherwise you would be better of with specialized CAD software.

Edited by Art V
7 hours ago, Art V said:

@Jan-Burger TROOST I've had to deal with creating ship hulls, though relatively simple and not as complex as yachts, in VW and ran into various issues. As explained above nurbs and lofting are basically the way to go but it requires (quite) a bit of trial and error depending on the boat shape as things don't always work as expected. Rhino would be a better option for this (i.e. NURBS) if the boat is not extremely complex and it often imports well into VW. The more complex the boat model is the greater the chance that you would need additional tools.  I also use it to "fix" 3D DWG files to get a cleaner import at times but sometimes they are just too messy to fix nicely.

VW's unfolding does have its limitations, like the nurbs tools and I haven't been able to get a unfold of a double curved surface that looks proper.

Otherwise you would be better of with specialized CAD software.

Hi Art, thanks for your reply. The boat itself is fairly simple (it’s a ski tow wooden boat) and has been made before, but without CAD for the production part of it. We manage to have the hull in 3D in the correct shape and all. It’s ‘just’ that we need to extract the sides in order to send it to our CNC…

21 minutes ago, mike m oz said:

It might be worth contacting Claes and asking if he can do the unfolding for you and provide those surfaces in an appropriate format for a fee.  

You would need to be sure though that your model is accurate.

Hehe, I know a lot of you boat guys are very helpful, which I appreciate a lot. If I will not be able to have it done in VW, I’ll consider asking some of you to provide the flats. I still like to think VW could do the trick, it only needs to combine some existing possibilities… 😇

15 hours ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

Thanks! I'll have a look... 😉

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to have 'intelligent' textures that can unfold in 2D the same way they are projected on an object?

15 hours ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

Thanks! I'll have a look... 😉

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to have 'intelligent' textures that can unfold in 2D the same way they are projected on an object?

Been there, done that. All fabrics based examples. Same program.

Skärmavbild 2019-02-12 kl. 09.01.33.png

• Like 1