Jump to content
Mark B

Need to draw a Boat

Recommended Posts

I normally draw houses but this time I need to renovate a boat on which one can live don't know the correct word in english

So hull and then need walls on it its all round and bend I'm going nuts :)

Its a cool project its in a canal in centre Amsterdam

 

Any help is welcome 

 

IMG_4834.jpg

IMG_4991.jpg

This is the plan.png

Share this post


Link to post

That's a super cool project. Its definitely possible in VW but there will be a lot of direct modelling rather than using walls and other parametrics.

 

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post

It actually looks like a house sitting in a boat. I would think of them separately at first:

It looks like the upper walls form an irregular decagon, I would measure these externally and draw them as walls then use a tapered slab for the roof.

If the interior walls are curved in plan I would drawn them as Nurbs Surface>Shell and cut openings as needed.

The lower part can be drawn using Loft Surfaces and Shells. Measuring it may be trickier than drawing it.

You can Fit Bottom of Walls to Objects

Remember also in VW2017 you can now set a unique Cut Plan Elevation for each design layer. This may be helpful in displaying Plan Views appropriately.

Share this post


Link to post

Guys I just signed up and my works is almost done :)  to cool thanks this is really great 

Share this post


Link to post

what tool did you use is it nurbs ? I probably can't open the file you made in VW 

Share this post


Link to post

@markbHi, I drew a polyline tool in Bezier mode between the ribs and converted it to a nurbs. then lofted the horizontals, it gave a better curve then the verticals. I have saved back to 2012 so hopefully you should be able to open it.

House_Boat_v2012.vwx

Share this post


Link to post

Using the polyline tool and converting to NURBS is good advice. The key to good lofts is having the same number of points on each rib. This is where Rhino is a little better than VW. Both have a rebuild command but VW's is very limited and doesn't allow you to specify the deviation from the original. Rhino gives you very fine control when rebuilding curves. Rhino will also allow you to loft with two rails and multiple cross section curves, while VW only allows one.

 

Kevin

 

Share this post


Link to post

Vectorboat.png

 

A little different design than the OP...

 

Edited by Wes Gardner

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/25/2017 at 9:58 PM, Mark B said:

Guys I just signed up and my works is almost done :)  to cool thanks this is really great 

: we love playing with fun stuff. Vectorworks =Big kids playground!

Edited by bcd

Share this post


Link to post

Modern sailboats are pretty radical things...this is what competes in the single-handed, non-stop, round-the-world race that just finished up a couple of days ago. Time - approx. 74 days.  The boats are 60 feet and built mostly from carbon fiber (including the rig, sails, etc.), they are partially lifted out of the water to reduce drag (wetted surface) by foils that stick out on either side (they look kinda like end-plates on airplane wings - guess why???).  The keel can also be canted to help with the optimum heel-angle (it's that kinda yellow/green thing under water amidships.), they also have twin rudders (one is kicked up in the photo) and can sail faster than the wind on certain points of sail.  The pole that sticks out from the base of the mast that is angled slightly back is what "typical" boats would call a spreader, these allow the entire mast to rotate and in essence, become a part of the "wing" that is the mainsail.  They have no "conventional" spreaders.

 

Yeehawwww...

sailing-aerial-images-of-the-imoca-boat-hugo-boss-skipper-alex-thomson-gbr-during-training-solo-for-the-vendee-globe-2016-off-england-on-september-16-2016-photo-cleo-barnham-hugo-boss-vendee-globeimages-aeriennes-de-hugo-b.jpg

Edited by Wes Gardner
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/26/2017 at 6:41 AM, Alan Woodwell said:

@markbHi, I drew a polyline tool in Bezier mode between the ribs and converted it to a nurbs. then lofted the horizontals, it gave a better curve then the verticals. I have saved back to 2012 so hopefully you should be able to open it.

House_Boat_v2012.vwx

Thanks for the file that really helps and im back at it now ! :)

Share this post


Link to post

I'm curious as well…

Share this post


Link to post

VW is probably not the first choice for boat design. It's NURBS features are simply too limited. A few steps could bring VW to say average (like say Rhino), for example the ability to nudge control points (like with mesh points), the ability to edit any number of control points in any number of objects at the same time, etc. Rhino is probably the most commonly used program in boat design, though in my opinion it's a misconception to say that Rhino alone is a professional grade boat design software. It's not. It still lacks fundamental stuff like hydrostatics, dynamic cross sectioning, etc. You need to add a set of plug-ins called Orca, though I have to say after having evaluated it, it very much feels like an after construction. It's rather clunky to work with compared to dedicated boat design programs. It's therefore not a top contender in my opinion as a professional designer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

VW is probably not the first choice for boat design. It's NURBS features are simply too limited. A few steps could bring VW to say average (like say Rhino), for example the ability to nudge control points (like with mesh points), the ability to edit any number of control points in any number of objects at the same time, etc. Rhino is probably the most commonly used program in boat design, though in my opinion it's a misconception to say that Rhino alone is a professional grade boat design software. It's not. It still lacks fundamental stuff like hydrostatics, dynamic cross sectioning, etc. You need to add a set of plug-ins called Orca, though I have to say after having evaluated it, it very much feels like an after construction. It's rather clunky to work with compared to dedicated boat design programs. It's therefore not a top contender in my opinion as a professional designer. 

Hi Claes,

 

Thanks for your comment. My main concern is how to unfold a double curved surface as the hull of a boat is. I'm trying to help out students with their technical drawing and CAM files for the boat they're planning to make & was hoping VW could have the genius option (somehow) for the trick 'other' CAD programs lack...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

Hi Claes,

 

Thanks for your comment. My main concern is how to unfold a double curved surface as the hull of a boat is. I'm trying to help out students with their technical drawing and CAM files for the boat they're planning to make & was hoping VW could have the genius option (somehow) for the trick 'other' CAD programs lack...

I probably have the best program for complex unfolds such a boat hulls and all other parts of a boat for that matter. It does not just try and say if it works or not. It allows you to adjust the shape interactively as a part of the hull fairing, and it's probably the only program on the market that does so. I typically use this dynamic interaction to optimize the design so that it uses a minimal amount of material, and also interacts with the nesting of the panels. The example shows a 34 foot stainless steel boat having just under 200 parts plus various profiles, which we ran directly into laser cutting from the CAD files provided. The laser also added on skin marketings so that for example frames and bulkheads could be fitted without really measuring. We just placed the parts on the reference lines, which dramatically decreased the production time. The model was 100% generated in one program except for the renderings, and some documentation drawings done in VW. 

 

 

 

 

SSY 10,5 Plates.jpg

SSY_10.5_Ex2.jpg

SSY_10,5_Int_7.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Claes Lundstrom said:

I probably have the best program for complex unfolds such a boat hulls and all other parts of a boat for that matter. It does not just try and say if it works or not. It allows you to adjust the shape interactively as a part of the hull fairing, and it's probably the only program on the market that does so. I typically use this dynamic interaction to optimize the design so that it uses a minimal amount of material, and also interacts with the nesting of the panels. The example shows a 34 foot stainless steel boat having just under 200 parts plus various profiles, which we ran directly into laser cutting from the CAD files provided. The laser also added on skin marketings so that for example frames and bulkheads could be fitted without really measuring. We just placed the parts on the reference lines, which dramatically decreased the production time. The model was 100% generated in one program except for the renderings, and some documentation drawings done in VW. 

 

 

 

 

SSY 10,5 Plates.jpg

SSY_10.5_Ex2.jpg

SSY_10,5_Int_7.jpg

Hi Claes, this is awesome! But you leave me no other option than to ask the name of the progam you use for the unfolds…

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, mike m oz said:

Jan it is TouchCAD.  http://www.touchcad.com

 

There is a review on it here:  http://www.mcgowanmarinedesign.com/TouchCAD_Review.html

Thanks! I'll have a look... 😉

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to have 'intelligent' textures that can unfold in 2D the same way they are projected on an object?

 

Edited by Jan-Burger TROOST

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Jan-Burger TROOST said:

Thanks! I'll have a look... 😉

Come to think of it, wouldn't it be nice to have 'intelligent' textures that can unfold in 2D the same way they are projected on an object?

 

 

Forget the intelligent textures, why not have our skates on and let #Marionette take care of it! Anyone in the room willing to try & complete the ‘unfold double curved surface’ challenge?

Edited by Jan-Burger TROOST

Share this post


Link to post

Hi All,

 

I've had reasonable success with rhino (although it 's fairly "manual") and there are a few designers, like Bob Perry who use rhino for their design software.

 

Wes

Griffin 38 Cutter.png

Share this post


Link to post

if you get to a really good level of surface modelling in Rhino you can pretty much do most of the hull design in there, even unrolling and flattening of the surfaces. I'm no expert in boat design but I do know you need some extra plugins or software to do all the hydrostatic stuff etc. Also for boat covers and other fabric 3d to 2d output a lot of professionals use ExactFlat https://www.exactflat.com

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, milezee said:

if you get to a really good level of surface modelling in Rhino you can pretty much do most of the hull design in there, even unrolling and flattening of the surfaces. I'm no expert in boat design but I do know you need some extra plugins or software to do all the hydrostatic stuff etc. Also for boat covers and other fabric 3d to 2d output a lot of professionals use ExactFlat https://www.exactflat.com

Thanks for your advise, I’ll try this myself first as well… 🤓

 

But the main question still stands: how can I have VW do the trick of unfolding a hull? Be it #Marionette, #VectorScript or a hidden trick almost noone remembers, I can’t stand my favorite cad brand hides its hand 😇

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×