2D detail and multiple document windows

Ippy

Question

I'm working with Vectorworks 2015 in Windows 10, having just migrated from MacOS due to a lack of support for older versions of VW in the latest OS. For the most part the transition is seamless, but I'm currently having a couple of critical problems.

1 - The setting in display for "2D conversion resolution" in the VW preferences>Edit tab does absolutely nothing in Windows. Setting it to very high, or low does not affect the detail in polylines/curves and their appearance is quite poor, very few points are being used to generate curves, giving them a "lumpy" appearance.

2 - I cannot open multiple documents in their own individual windows. All windows appear to be loaded into a single one and I have to tab between them. I have a setup that has 3 monitors, and I cannot drag individual documents to another window. Some searching of the forums has suggested that this is prevented by a setting to do with Palette docking. I've managed to find the option in the VW preferences>Session tab> Enable palette docking, but checking or unchecking this option does not appear to alter any functionality in the software.

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Ippy said:

I'm working with Vectorworks 2015 in Windows 10, having just migrated from MacOS due to a lack of support for older versions of VW in the latest OS. For the most part the transition is seamless, but I'm currently having a couple of critical problems.

1 - The setting in display for "2D conversion resolution" in the VW preferences>Edit tab does absolutely nothing in Windows. Setting it to very high, or low does not affect the detail in polylines/curves and their appearance is quite poor, very few points are being used to generate curves, giving them a "lumpy" appearance.

2 - I cannot open multiple documents in their own individual windows. All windows appear to be loaded into a single one and I have to tab between them. I have a setup that has 3 monitors, and I cannot drag individual documents to another window. Some searching of the forums has suggested that this is prevented by a setting to do with Palette docking. I've managed to find the option in the VW preferences>Session tab> Enable palette docking, but checking or unchecking this option does not appear to alter any functionality in the software.

1) Please post a few screenshots of what you are seeing and we can take a look.

2) This is unfortunately the case on Windows, the document windows must remain within the application window, palettes can be moved away but not documents.

48 minutes ago, JimW said:

1) Please post a few screenshots of what you are seeing and we can take a look.

2) This is unfortunately the case on Windows, the document windows must remain within the application window, palettes can be moved away but not documents.

I'll post some screenshots once I'm back at work again of the first problem, so VW on Windows lacks a feature that's been present in other applications for at least a decade? Separate document windows? Even browsers have that functionality!