Reworked keyboard shortcut system

SamIWas

Question

I know I've asked about it before, but now we have an official wishlist and voting system.

I'd like to see the keyboard shortcut system completely redone.  As it stands almost every combination of keys is used by VW already.  And what remains uses three modifier keys for the most part.  This makes it difficult for those who write a lot of shortcut scripts and would like to have keyboard shortcuts for them, especially to map to external shortcut systems.  It also makes them hard to remember when your channel assign script is command-option-control-w or something, since that letter has no relation to channel.

In my opinion, Cinema 4D has the best shortcut system.  In addition to normal modifiers, you can have two-key combinations, almost like category shortcuts.  So, say I was assigning Lighting Device parameters, I could press L then C, and that would run my "Assign Channel" script.  L-D would run my "Assign Dimmer" script.  L-P for "Purpose".   Cable Tools could have a category.   Walls could have a category.  Instead of the current 150 or so possibilities, it opens up hundreds more possibilities.

I guess I could see how it might be daunting, or that a script could ruin your day by accidental typing, but I'd still love something to be done.

• Like 2

2 answers to this question

Yes very much in support of a clean slate set of shortcuts.

Move common commands to easy shortcuts.

Also, like your suggestion of a category shortcut with refining key. Would help create a fairly logical set of shortcuts.

I'd add it would be great if the computer could maybe get the right secondary key based off context.

Thinking for commands for clip, join,... where there is a different command for solids vs 2d planes.