Outdated Viewport Icon in Navigation - Viewports Palette

Kevin McAllister

Question

3 answers to this question

Kevin

When printing there is an option to update all out of date viewports.  It could probably also be easily scripted (famous last words).

When are you seeing the Nav Palette viewport list to be incorrect? I don't recall seeing that.

mk

btw.  I'm sure you know this, but in Document Preferences there is an option to save the VP caches so they don't need to be updated when opening a file.

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.

50 minutes ago, michaelk said:

When printing there is an option to update all out of date viewports.  It could probably also be easily scripted (famous last words).

I almost never use the option to update viewports before printing. I prefer to be able to proof things first. I like to make changes to a model, update all the affected viewports and then update the annotations. This is why I use the list in the Navigation palette. I used to go sheet by sheet but that means having to keep checking the progress so I can switch sheets when the viewports on one are updated. The Navigation palette Viewport pane is a happy medium between going sheet by sheet and updating all out of date viewports..... though I might use a script like that :D

When are you seeing the Nav Palette viewport list to be incorrect? I don't recall seeing that.

Usually right after I make a change that affects multiple viewports across many sheets. The viewports themselves show as being out of date but the Navigation palette status doesn't update. Sometimes if you leave it for a while and do something else they will. I'm not sure what the trigger is for regenerating the list. The only manual solution I've found is to close and reopen the file.

btw.  I'm sure you know this, but in Document Preferences there is an option to save the VP caches so they don't need to be updated when opening a file.

Yes, I always keep this option on but it never hurts to be reminded. The average project has 15 plus sheets, with anywhere from 2-10 viewports on each sheet. At the moment I have 3 projects in the drawing phase. There are constant revisions to different parts of any given design and all the technical drawing viewports are rendered in RW background / hidden line foreground. All together it means there's lot of viewport rendering management that occurs so I try to batch render stuff that needs updating while I step away to do other things.

Kevin

13 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

I almost never use the option to update viewports before printing.

Me either.  And for the same reasons.  There should be a warning on that checkbox.

I noticed that 2017 (or maybe it's been there since 2016?) now has a Cancel All Viewport Updates command right below the very dangerous Update All Viewports command :)

I'll keep an eye on the Nav. Palette to notice if the SLVPs are showing accurate out of date information.

mk