Referenced drawings in black & white only

Is there a way to use a referenced drawing in black & white only? 

I want to bring in the architect's backgrounds into my drawings as a reference, then annotate viewports with my own information (position of light fixtures etc.).

To make my own drawings clearer, I want to set the architectural drawings to black and white only, then annotate them with my information (position and shape of light fixtures & circuit references) in a colour, so that this information stands out on screen (but still gives me the option to print everything in black & white)

However, if I set a viewport to black and white (in the Advanced settings), then all annotations are automatically black and white, too. If I go back to the referenced drawing, and set the document preferences to black & white, then this seems to affect the on-screen display of that file only, as when I then reference or update the drawing into my file, all of the class/layer colour information faithfully returns & I am back to where I started.

This is maddening me; surely there must be a simple way to display the referenced drawing in black and white, without manually editing the architect's file to set all layers & classes to black and white & I am just missing it?

Thank you for the quick reply.

Yes, I imagine that would work, but then how could I go back to the appearance of the drawing? I may not need to, but it would be good to know that the information was still there, just switched off. I thought the whole point of referencing was to allow me to bring in drawings that may be updated later. If I have to manually edit the drawings before or after referencing, it's adding a lot to the workflow.

Viewport have a concept call Overrides for both Layers and Classes. The Overrides allow you to change the Attributes (Fills, hatches, colors, line weights, etc.) for objects that have  their attributes set to ByClass for just that viewport.

For Class Overrides, select the viewport, click the Classes button, select a class and click the Edit button. You can now set the attributes to be used for that class. 

On a Referenced Viewport you can toggle between the normal and overridden states by clicking in the column just before the Class Name.

In an "internal" viewport you can use the Revert button to remove the class overrides and go back to the attributes used in the design layer for the objects.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Thank you for this, but this does not solve the issue: if I select that setting, even my annotations are now in black & white

I want to annotate the architect’s background in a colour, so that my annotations stand out., and the solution is to rather messily edit the previous classes, although this does not help when the viewport includes objects that are symbols (which they nearly always do).

Jonathan