Design Layer Viewports on Sheet Layer

Hey guys!

This is probably a really easy answer but I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I have a drawing which is based around a design layer viewport that is referenced from another drawing, with a bunch of my layers and classes drawn in on top.  It's a floor plan from a designer in the referenced file, and then my file has all my cable paths, fixtures etc.

My question is that I want to make multiple sheet layer view ports with certain layers/classes turned off within the design layer viewport.  So, for instance within the design layer VP there is a 1st flr, and 2nd flr layer.  I need to make 2 sheet layer viewports one showing the design layer viewport w/ the 1st flr layer, and one showing it with the 2nd flr layer.

Thanks!

Only 2 options.

1. Import/create all of the class names from the Referenced file into your work file and then check the Use Current Document Class Visibilities button in the Classes dialog box for the referenced viewport. If there are a lot of classes this can clutter your class list and make the file harder to work from. This will allow you to use Class Overrides in the Sheet Layer Viewport to control the display of the referenced data.

2.  Create a second Referenced Viewport for each set of visibilities you need. You will then use overrides as needed in each of the Referenced viewports to set the visibilities as needed.

Ask if you need more information.

• Like 1

@djobbinsHi, in the attached files copy both to the same folder. Open file 2 and check that the exref to EXRef file is updated. In fiule 2 there are 3 viewports each reference the same viewport. It appears that only the classes from the exref that you want to alter need to be imported and as you choose them from the viewport in the design layer VW will ask you if you want to import them.

So yes you can have one Exref viewport of another file and have as many viewports as you want and you can change the classes in both files through the one viewport.

PS Make sure all objects are set to by class.

HTH

EXRef File.vwx

File 2.vwx

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@djobbinsHi, in the attached files copy both to the same folder. Open file 2 and check that the exref to EXRef file is updated. In fiule 2 there are 3 viewports each reference the same viewport. It appears that only the classes from the exref that you want to alter need to be imported and as you choose them from the viewport in the design layer VW will ask you if you want to import them.

So yes you can have one Exref viewport of another file and have as many viewports as you want and you can change the classes in both files through the one viewport.

PS Make sure all objects are set to by class.

HTH

EXRef File.vwx

File 2.vwx

Nice demo file.

All this requires is the same class names?

@Tom KlaberTom, Nothing to be embarrassed about here, its all about learning what the program can do and how we can use it. The best part about this Forum is we can all ask question and make comment and in the spirit of collaboration we can all share and progress our knowledge.

I hear so often at work that the program has a bug, it doesn't work, well some times maybe, but generally the user hasn't had the time or willingness to research the solution.

Keep posting as I read all  your posts as I always learn bits from you ans everyone.

• 2 years later...