Vertical Stacking - 2

trying to place a continuous footing with a conc. wall on top.  I have created a wall type for the footing 16" wide x 8" tall.  In the Wall Pref's, Insertion options I find options for height, top bound (then a plethora of options) Top offset, bottom bound (another plethora of options) and bottom offset.  What is the relation of top bound to top offset, and bottom bound to bottom offset? and why can't it just be "z" ?  I want the bottom of the footing at -40.25" .  The layer elevation is to to of foundation which is -10.25".  Foundation wall is 24" .

I realize all the options are there to construct some complicated walls.  This is a simple and common situation can someone dummy it down for me?  

I got it to work but don't understand VW methodology at all.

I created a test file: foundation layer elevation of -10.25" (presumably top of foundation) with a wall height of 32" (8" footing, 24" stemwall).  Created a foundation wall type with height of 24" top bound by layer elev. It automatically gave me a top offset of 24" (which I honestly do not comprehend), bottom bound by layer elevation, bottom offset of 0.

Then the footing (wall) 16" thick wall x 8" tall.  In the OIP  the height is -8" and top offset is -8".  Graphically it looks correct.  In an iso view it looks correct.  

Why is the height of this wall a negative number while the height of the stemwall a positive number when both are bound by the layer elevation?  

Untitled 3.vwx

I got it to work.!

I started a fresh file,  created a slab layer: top at '0' , created a foundation layer: top at -10.25 (thickness of joists and pw).  Created two walls; one stemwall 24" height, top bound = layer elevation, top offset 0" , bottom bound = layer elev. bottom offset =-24".  Second wall (footing) 8" height, top bound= layer elevation, top offset -24" (or bottom of stem wall, bottom bound = layer elevation, bottom offset = -32" (stem height + footing ht).

then in iso view I changed numbers and watched results.  now it makes sense to me. 

Thank you for your patience and help!   

Now putting in that 2x6 mudsill between the slab and top of stemwall.....