GTX 1050...Good Enough?

I am a spec chaser.  Even though I do not game or even put that high of demands on my system, I like getting powerful machines.  This does come in handy on the few occasions a year I have large files, or I am testing out new features.  I have been holding out for a GTX 1070 or GTX 1060 laptop.  I have not found the right one yet, but my question is should I expand my search to include the GTX 1050?  Is that good enough?

If my only real requirements are that I want to drive a 4K external screen, and have VW run silky smooth, does a 1050 get me there - and keep me there for the next 3 years?  I know its not VR ready - but I probably am going to stick with the phone driven VR system headsets - so that does not worry me as much.  

@Tom KlaberHi, Don't know all the really technical details but i have played with an Alienware 17in laptop and my gaming rig which is a liquid cooled pc tower and playing 2 charterers in Diablo 3 at the same time using left and right programmable mice i will see the character from the laptop screen still running around but on the tower screen he is dead, then he will die on the laptop screen. LAGGG. I put it down to the graphics card and the cooling on the PC tower where as the Alienware only has a huge block of fluted copper and fans to cool.

So my bet is to get the best graphics card you can, get it liquid cooled, you want the fast graphics to keep up with the amount of flashing etc going on with most games on the screen.

HTH 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Slight note on liquid cooling:

Great idea for your CPU if you do a lot of rendering or anything else where the CPU spends a lot of its time above 80% utilization.

GPUs benefit from liquid cooling only if their restriction is their thermal limit, the GeForce 10 series (1050 through 1080) however runs quite cool, I have a 1080 at home and I am unable to push it hard enough to get anywhere near it's thermal limit, it hits power limits long before that, so liquid cooling would not benefit performance directly.

@Tom KlaberAt home yes, I did a writeup on the build (for a gaming community project) which you can read here, if you don't mind my inability to not make bad jokes constantly: http://jimwtech.blogspot.com/2015/05/a-break-to-detail-what-ive-been-working.html

I have since replaced the 970 with a 1080 since that writing but I believe the rest is the same.

• 9 months later...

Hi all

What about a GeForce 1050 ti 4GB for 4k monitors and Vectorworks 2018?

I'm working with 3 old cinema displays 20 using multiple view panes with different visibilities and I see graphic card is already plodding

Should I better buy another 1050 ti, working with 2 graphic cards (and save money) or buy a GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (or more) working alone?

I work both in 2D and 3D and the idea is to buy 2 27" 4k or 2 27 2.5k, depending from the final cost

Edited by erminio

If the relative performance between x50/x60/x70/x80 is maintained in the 10xx series like it was with the 9xx series and you want the better performance then you should get the 1070 over the 1050. The 1060 sits inbetween but I've read that the x70 performance increase relative to the x60 is bigger than from x50 to x60.

So far 'm happy with my 960 GPU and two 2K monitors as it is holding up with my needs quite well, but my heavy 3D rendering is usually at the end of the project and for the rest it i "just" OpenGL so the possible downside in performance is not impacting me too much. If I am correct, but @JimWcorrect me if I am wrong, for 2D the amount memory has more effect than speed ratings (i.e. a 950/960 should not perform significantly worse than a 970 for 2D as long as there is sufficient memory on the GPU).

In your case with possibly two 4K monitors I would definitely get a 1070 or higher with at least 4GB of GPU RAM, also because you are more likely to have at least two displayport connections on a 1070  (it is the reason I went with my 960 at the time as it was then one of the few having 3 displayport connections). If you want use HDMI then make sure it is least HDMI 2.0 or higher or you won't be able to drive 2 4K monitors, but I would go for DisplayPort over HDMI anyway.

Edited by Art V
2 hours ago, Art V said:

If I am correct, but @JimWcorrect me if I am wrong, for 2D the amount memory has more effect than speed ratings (i.e. a 950/960 should not perform significantly worse than a 970 for 2D as long as there is sufficient memory on the GPU).

This is also true Art V

Thing is the workstation is a new Hackintosh with a 4,2 GHz Intel Core i7 4 cores 8 threads 32GB RAM with OS Sierra on a M2

I can't believe this workstation is just enough to work...

Anyway you think 1 Geforce 1070 is better than 2 1050Ti?

10 minutes ago, erminio said:

I can't believe this workstation is just enough to work...

That hardware is more than capable for even heavy rendering, it isn't near the low end of needed hardware at all.

9 minutes ago, erminio said:

Anyway you think 1 Geforce 1070 is better than 2 1050Ti?

Vectorworks can only use a single graphics card, it does not support SLI so one of those 1050 Tis would just sit idle. The 1070 should be more than adequate.

Multiple 4K displays are going to be stressful for any but the very highest end GPUs however, even when not using demanding applications.

31 minutes ago, JimW said:

That hardware is more than capable for even heavy rendering, it isn't near the low end of needed hardware at all.

Vectorworks can only use a single graphics card, it does not support SLI so one of those 1050 Tis would just sit idle. The 1070 should be more than adequate.

Multiple 4K displays are going to be stressful for any but the very highest end GPUs however, even when not using demanding applications.

Thank you Jim

This changes everything

I didn't know Vectorworks supports a single graphic card

I'm considering to buy a single 32" 4K and eventually save 1 or 2 Cinema displays as secondary monitors

Just one more (maybe stupid) question about

Having two monitors connected and working with Vectorworks on just one monitor or on both, does it changes anything for the OS and the graphic card?

I mean with the same number of panes opened

1 hour ago, erminio said:

Having two monitors connected and working with Vectorworks on just one monitor or on both, does it changes anything for the OS and the graphic card?

I mean with the same number of panes opened

Yes, even just having two 4K displays connected and on will be somewhat of a strain, if you have Vectorworks open on both windows it would be considerably moreso, but usually only if its drawing area/multiview panes on both screens. Having just palettes on one screen and the rest of Vectorworks on the other for instance would be far less stress than the drawing area being shown on both.

28 minutes ago, erminio said:

Do you think Vectorworks will support more graphics card?

Not in the immediate future from what I have seen in development, no.

As for the technology itself, going forward its very likely that the way multiple video cards work together may change, moving away from SLI/Crossfire configurations and towards other systems that can sort of pool GPU resources together and use them as a single unit. For more info, take a look into things like Vulkan Multi GPU support.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,
Just to be correct, I’ve to post this update
Problems of slowness I mentioned in previous posts were probably caused by importing old settings from VW 2017
I’ve reset VW and now everything is ok
I’ve bought an LG 32UD89 32” 4K monitor and placed my 2 20” Cinema Displays aside
LG monitor comes with a nice split view by itself both in Mac and Win
I’m working with VW files in the main monitor at full 4k res and put palettes in smaller monitors to make them bigger and I’ve to say it simply works great
No more pain or fan noise

IMG_1829.thumb.JPG.1d8804c24965e417c38aa192c96506fb.JPG

This could be the answer Kevin

Go to Preferences of Vectorworks then go to the User Folder label

Select Show in Finder then quit Vectorworks

Take the 2017 folder and drag it away from Application support, assuming you're working on a mac (has to be similar in Win)

This way you reset preferences

You can do the same pushing the reset button in the preferences  but you have to reinsert the serial number