The Power of 3D Modeling with Vectorworks Software

Was not sure into which sub forum to put that thread (modeling, architecture, rendering).

Whatever the reason was for that project, like bringing hidden modeling tools like surface arrays

backt into our minds, I think that is the most aesthetically pleasing VW project in so far.

In terms of underlaying architecture, rendering and to carry an overview of VW tool set.

I have some more questions about that project :

@Luis M Ruiz:

In the video it looks like you are modeling in a kind of freehand way without numeric input, just by proportions.

Was that the case or were there any dimensions laying under that we just do not see in the video.

could you please elaborate on this and what were your sources like plans or photos ?

And could you go a bit more in detail about your material and render settings ?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello again.

That was a fun project to make and yes it took me some time to figure out all the project dimensions. Many of them I acquired from a dwg I found on the web along with a few jpg images but later I realized nothing in this project is random, every line and edge makes sense, related or projected from another shape.
From the beginning my intention was to document the modeling process and when I was sure about the steps I’d get on to the recordings. For the west volume I did save myself a sequence and only after practicing several times the video was made.
There are also a few other parts that did not make the director’s cut, time constraints, but the east side, the main gate took some time to figure out.
Basically while I was modeling I had on screen, all matching, images, photos, dwg lines and the main model broken in different parts.

Again, I so wish we all had these tool back in the 90's when I was in architecture school.

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.25.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.26.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.28.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.25.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 9.14.14 AM.png

Edited by Luis M Ruiz

Ah, ok, you had some dimensions.

While watching the video I thought for a moment you would do everything by proportions only.

That is something that would be extremely hard for me, while not impossible, as long as there

would not be any dimensions at all. But I think many 3D artists free from architectural background

always work that way.

(I see its even well documented on Richard Meier's official website http://www.richardmeier.com/?projects=jubilee-church-2 )

1 hour ago, Luis M Ruiz said:

but later I realized nothing in this project is random, every line and edge makes sense, related or projected from another shape.

For me that is always very satisfying when modeling other peoples designs.

When you come to a point where start to understand their intentions and design.

Thanks for your insights.

For the Rendering, you use heliodon, gypsum mode with AO, GI and fine gray edges, right ?

Did you use cameras to control the exposure or only saved views in standard viewports ?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

During the making of several rendering I wanted to test several Rendering Styles of my own and kept refining them as needed. Since I wanted to keep the model plain white I added only a few visible textures, the floor is a bit reflective with blur, one single light source, heliodon warm light 125 brightness and the glass needed some turbulence noise, about 500% size and very reflective. I did use a camera effect with 8% bloom.

Here are a few screenshots of one of my rendering setting for a white model with a black background and a fine simple artistic edge

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.51.16 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.51.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.52.07 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.51.43 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-12 at 10.51.58 AM.png

This project/video reminded me of some of the tools in vw I had forgotten as well. However, there is no easy way to get 2D plans from this. I use vw (together with C4D) mainly for presentation. So I model just in 3D ignoring 2D representation then send to C4D. Modelling and 2D representation in Revit is what vw should aim for. When modeled in Revit, 2D representation is automatic.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Jershaun said:

I use vw (together with C4D) mainly for presentation. So I model just in 3D ignoring 2D representation then send to C4D.

That is exactly what I do too.

So no "real" need of parametric Architecture Tools over standard 3D Modeling as long as there is no benefit

for the 3D Model itself.

While you can do a lot of nice things in VW, I have to admit that before VW my Mesh output had a better quality

for that purpose. I had more consistency in 3D and options for easier changes by the ability to adapt all parts

at one time. Would love to see improvements in this direction.

On the other hand I have my first reliable direct C4D Exchange with VW 2017, which prevents me from making

all changes in 2 models.