Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Parametric Books

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Thanks, @MarissaF :-).  Marionette is highly addictive. I had a couple of hours to spare today (a rare occurrence) and I had to make a decision what to do. Of course I ended up wiring a spike for a textured, parametric box, my next pet project ("anything you can put on a shelf"). I wish I could do more Python sometimes to be more flexible.  Having said that - what we can do just with nodes is already very good. I hope, Marionette will get regular updates with new features. 

Texture_Box.gif

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff
  • Like 1
  • Marionette Maven
Just now, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

Thanks, @MarissaF :-).  Marionette is highly addictive. I had a couple of hours to spare today (a rare occurrence) and I had to make a decision what to do. Of course I ended up wiring a spike for textured, parametric box, my next pet project ("anything you can put on a shelf"). I wish I could do more Python sometimes to be more flexible.  Having said that - what we can do just with nodes is already very good. I hope, Marionette will get regular updates with new features. 

Texture_Box.gif

This is really fun to watch.

• Like 1

@Stephan MoenninghoffHi, I notice that a lot of the new nodes are by 'HMK' is that Hans M K  and one by 'Nicholas G'. I haven't seen them in the Marionette Forum. If they have more I would certainly like to see any that they have to contribute to the Forum.

Thanks

Ok i see them all now https://www.extragroup.de/xg/team/

Great work Team I want to see more please.

Edited by Alan Woodwell
41 minutes ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@Stephan MoenninghoffHi, I notice that a lot of the new nodes are by 'HMK' is that Hans M K  and one by 'Nicholas G'. I haven't seen them in the Marionette Forum. If they have more I would certainly like to see any that they have to contribute to the Forum.

Thanks

Ok i see them all now https://www.extragroup.de/xg/team/

Great work Team I want to see more please.

Yes, Hans Martin Kern is our CTO and my associate in the company and Nicolas Goutte is our Python Guru. They helped me with some of the changes made to the Index and Random Chunk Nodes.

1 hour ago, Robert Anderson said:

Stephan, most impressive. (I loved the fact that you had a Karl May collection!) Could one move examples from all the collections into a "general random" folder and get a truly randomized collection of books?

Ah, you mean like on a real messy person's shelf? :-) I cringe when I think of Karl May mixed with Penguin and trashy novels but hey, why not. I am sure there are marionetteers on this forum who could change the "Symbol in Folder" Node (was that even one of @DomC's?) to drill down into subfolders. That way the cake could be kept and eaten at the same time. Then again, one might want to exclude the Karl Mays after all (and the encyclopaedia). About time I learned Python. 

@Alan Woodwell That sounds like a great idea for another "shelf life" marionette (should we create a new tag? I'm also working on a new "shelf life" Marionette this weekend). Can't wait to see the finished script. BoxShot app has parametric bottles, bags, cream tubs etc., so no end of possibilities there. I'll make some as soon as I get the chance.

I noticed you used the "Get Bounding Box" node to get at the symbol footprints. I would never have tried that because the description reads "Returns the bounding box's coordinates of an objects *projection on the screen*. If this also works for the 3D projected footprint (as apparently it does) the description should be changed to reflect that, don't you agree?

Edited by Stephan Moenninghoff

The Descreption was all right for the first version of the Get Bounding Box Node. Because the Script-Command does exactly this and returns wrong results in wrong views.

The Marionette engine I think, newly run the script in a Top Plan view. So the Descreption should be changed. 

From a isolated view, the desception is matching exactly for the RunNode() Methode. But the Node runs in the Marionette class, which changes to TopPlanView.

Edited by DomC
  • 1 month later...