Viewport not displaying on sheet layer

Hi, when I create a new viewport on a new sheet layer there is nothing visible. Checked all settings, layers classes scale and seem OK. The only thing I notice is object info shows a small range of x,y values (approx.+x 9, +y3, x-4, y1). This is on a plan printing at 1:200 on A1 paper. I don't believe I've cropped selection...I can't zoom in to show anything on sheet layer. I'm thinking there must be a setting I'm missing...Any ideas please?

untitled.png

Just grasping here a bit, but try zooming way out. It could be that the viewport is off the sheet in an area beyond your display.

Also, do a "select all" and check the OIP. Does it show that a viewport is selected? If so, zoom out. If there is nothing in the OIP after doing the select all, the problem lies elsewhere.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Notice the small "e" within the X and Y values; that's signifying scientific notation shorthand for a very large number. Your object is likely an incredibly long distance away from the center of the sheet, as suggested above, which is likely that is why you can't see it.

You can normally just edit the X and Y fields and make them both 0 to move the viewport back onto the sheet.

• 1 year later...

@JimW Hey Jim, I'm having the same problem. I'm creating a viewport of a large 3D model that includes a complex surface array object. The scale is 1:500 on an A3 sheet.  When creating a viewport it is way too large and even by putting X and Y at 0 doesn't seem to help. Then I only get the corner of the viewport in the center of the sheet but I am still not able to whole viewport.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I have never had this before.

Is is caused by the surface array? The file has crashed several times already too, so I worry if this may the cause.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 1/5/2019 at 12:00 PM, Stephanie v Luijk said:

@JimW Hey Jim, I'm having the same problem. I'm creating a viewport of a large 3D model that includes a complex surface array object. The scale is 1:500 on an A3 sheet.  When creating a viewport it is way too large and even by putting X and Y at 0 doesn't seem to help. Then I only get the corner of the viewport in the center of the sheet but I am still not able to whole viewport.

Any ideas on what I am doing wrong? I have never had this before.

Is is caused by the surface array? The file has crashed several times already too, so I worry if this may the cause.

Could you please post a screenshot of what you are seeing?