Renders Turning Black Once Updated

corbinhand

Question

I'm having render problems in 2017. When I render any viewport for a second time, the entire viewport turns black. As in a complete black rectangle. 

I can update the settings in the "background render settings" and it will render perfectly, but only one time. Then I will have to change the settings again, or else the blacked out viewport comes back. 

Has anyone else run into this? Any tips for fixing it?

Corbin

Edited by corbinhand
  • Like 2

Also getting this issue in 2018 SP1.

Seems to be similar to previously described where any changes to a viewport or design layer causes the renders to turn grey, yet it takes the full time to render rather then stopping after a few seconds. When application is restarted the rendering works again. Just to flag up that perhaps there is still a bug ?

Edited by turnerhoskins
spelling

Hi! Just want to add that I´m also having these problems, and this has been through several versions of VWX and computers. Currently on 2018 SP2 and brand new Mac Book Pro 15" with best available graphics.

For now I only need to close the file and re-open to solve the problem, but it appears again after a few renders.

A new render issue came up today, where textures with glow image (on video or LED screens in Spotlight) doesn´t render correct. A white text on blue background appears as distorted black instead. There where glitches with other colors to. No picture of this at moment but will post if it happens again.

39 minutes ago, diskoper said:

A new render issue came up today, where textures with glow image (on video or LED screens in Spotlight) doesn't render correct. A white text on blue background appears as distorted black instead. There where glitches with other colors to. No picture of this at moment but will post if it happens again.

This has happened to me a few times recently too! Anything with a glow texture turns black and splotchy. It's really weird. Let me see if I can find some screenshots...

Yes - I had texted this image to someone so I was able to pull it up:

black2.thumb.jpg.2a73028d99db2b52eb8e68ff207f4127.jpg

All of the figures have glow-based textures. They should definitely not look like that. But even the thin black lines on the red columns are supposed to be glowing white, not black. There are other glow textures in the room which you can see as dark reflections in the white floor. It's very odd, and goes away after restarting Vectorworks.The glitchy areas are also more pixelated that then rest of the render.

I've had it happen in multiple unrelated files. And also with less complex files (so I don't think it has to do with the complexity of these figures). I wish I had taken screenshots of the other instances...

EDIT: Found another from the same show:

black3.thumb.jpg.805980d7f2d59913a654c60a24714252.jpg

Edited by Andy Broomell
8 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

This has happened to me a few times recently too! Anything with a glow texture turns black and splotchy. It's really weird. Let me see if I can find some screenshots...

This is the same thing I experience. This is a new bug that I haven´t seen earlier (as opposite to the whole render goes black-issue that have been for a long time across VWX versions). In some way it feels like these two issues are connected.

Edited by diskoper
On 11/3/2017 at 7:45 AM, turnerhoskins said:

Also getting this issue in 2018 SP1.

Seems to be similar to previously described where any changes to a viewport or design layer causes the renders to turn grey, yet it takes the full time to render rather then stopping after a few seconds. When application is restarted the rendering works again. Just to flag up that perhaps there is still a bug ?

I have the same issue in 2018 and seems to be related to the complexity of the render. When I delete elements in my workspace renderworks finishes the render.

On 3/28/2018 at 11:54 PM, josharoo4 said:

Also still having the black renders. In SP3. This is beyond frustrating. have to restart VW to clear it out. Once I render one time in Final Quality Renderworks, it will stay black until the next time I restart and rerender. 

The exact same thing happens to me.

This happened to me yesterday with multiple viewports rendered in hidden line & an artistic renderworks option.  The viewports all turned black.  Didn't try restarting VW, but ended up recreating the viewports to resolve on a new sheet layer. VW2018 SP3.  Hopefully this is being fixed soon as it is a huge time waster, especially when on a deadline.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:14 AM, line-weight said:

Is any work being done to resolve it?

Wondering the same thing. It's a catastrophic bug and we've heard of no progress for months.

It's currently midnight on a Saturday and I would prefer to just get this rendering done instead of restarting the program every three minutes. Combined with the bug where Lights disappear unless they're selected, I'm starting to consider Vectorworks practically unusable for renderings.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

It's currently midnight on a Saturday and I would prefer to just get this rendering done instead of restarting the program every three minutes.

^ I sympathize. I've had the same thing happen to me. Its almost like VW senses a deadline 😲

(It also makes me wonder if there's some Mac system task that kicks in at certain times of day and makes VW stall out. I've become acutely attuned to noticing them (Time Machine in preparing mode, Dropbox syncing, Sophos updating antivirus definitions). The often come at inopportune moments and don't show as CPU "use" on my CPU bar graph in the menu bar but they're there and dragging things down. Perhaps VW needs to specifically beta test at odd hours...)

Kevin

8 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

It's currently midnight on a Saturday and I would prefer to just get this rendering done instead of restarting the program every three minutes.

If it's of any help...I've found that duplicating the viewport and re-rendering often works. Not quite as annoying as having to restart VW.

In the file I'm working on at present I'm finding (so far) that duplicating the viewport and re-rendering will stop it going all black.

However - the surface of what is in this case some water gets rendered black. I don't know if this is to do with it being transparent, or reflective, or something else.

I'm posting this in case it offers any clues to what's going wrong. It should like the left hand image but comes out like the right-hand one, until I close and reopen the file.

88179112_ScreenShot2018-07-31at12_19_11.thumb.jpg.1b901f7ae4e39176d2c72df301c266dd.jpg

Looks like the reflection of the water got blind for viewing the sky/background.

(Maybe that could help to trace the problems in RW ?)

Talking about black renders, I have seen worse here 😉

The color of the water should be easy to select and replace in a image editing App

in this case but not nice though.

1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Looks like the reflection of the water got blind for viewing the sky/background.

(Maybe that could help to trace the problems in RW ?)

^ I wonder if that's true? There was another recent thread where it seemed to be the RW background causing issues though the rendering was in a design layer, not a sheet layer viewport. Definitely worth investigating.

KM

Edited by Kevin McAllister
On 7/29/2018 at 8:53 AM, line-weight said:

If it's of any help...I've found that duplicating the viewport and re-rendering often works. Not quite as annoying as having to restart VW.

This only works about 25% of the time on my end 😕

5 hours ago, line-weight said:

In the file I'm working on at present I'm finding (so far) that duplicating the viewport and re-rendering will stop it going all black.

However - the surface of what is in this case some water gets rendered black. I don't know if this is to do with it being transparent, or reflective, or something else.

I'm posting this in case it offers any clues to what's going wrong. It should like the left hand image but comes out like the right-hand one, until I close and reopen the file.

No idea if this is related, but I've noticed whenever I restart VW after 'the bug' occurs, my Design Layer resets the RW background to none (instead of the black RW Background I usually use). Perhaps the RW background somehow got messed up in the viewport and so the water isn't reflecting it?

Another thing that sometimes occurs, and I believe I posted about somewhere in this thread, is that once in a while everything that has any sort of Glow reflectivity will render black, but everything else will be fine.

But honestly I don't think either of these are what's happening in your images...

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yup we've found similar results. Sometimes I'm able to get the renderings to stick with a lovely blue sky color, but the behavior is still the same. It seems to sometimes show black, or show whatever the background was supposed to be (commonly in reflections) as black, but then sometimes the image or color selected as the background. I passed the info to engineering but unfortunately last I heard it had not been nailed down yet.

I'd been rendering a good bit in the beta 1 and beta 2 versions for 2019 and it happened less for sure, but it did happen. About to start more rendering work in beta 6 so I'll make sure i file anything still happening as I see it.