8.52 Freezes on Launch

Katie,

I believe this "problem" just appearded one day.. long after Zone Alarm was up and running. Could it be that somehow not enough memory is available load VW? At the moment I am working in VW, via Verizon DSL with the Zone Alarm on. I then quit VW... and now I cannot launch it.. I have to use the task manager to escape and get a message about abnormal program termination... To get VW going I quit Zone Alarm and then I can load VW. Do you think there is some preference setting on the Firewall trhat I could change to let VW start whenever?

thanks

defjef

Recently my VW 8.52 has been freezing when I try to launch the program. I can often get around this by quiting WeatherBug and Zone Alarm... or launching VW when nothing else is running. The error message is

Runtime Lbrary C++ Error. I have to force a quite with the task manager as nothing on the VW screen is accessible...

Any clues on a fix

VW 8.52

Windows ME

512 mb

thanks

defjef

Zone alarm may be causing the problem.

The firewall settings may not be set up to allow things VW checks for.

Did you recently install Zone Alarm or did these problems crop up after installing/setting up zone alarm?

It could be memory related. 3rd party freeware programs like weather bug and others can definately have memory leaks. These programs are usually free for a reason .. not much effort went into creating them.

Usually with VW 8, when the crash happens when launching VW, it's related to either printer driver or the internet browser. Since this is a new problem, it's not your internet browser.

It could be printer related if you changed your default printer and never updated that driver or you rolled the print driver version back.

I'm betting on a memory leak in one of the other programs running such as weather bug or something else ... or the firewall software is blocking something needed for VW to launch. Since you can launch VW when zone alarm is turned off, I'm letting it all ride on Zone Alarm. I'm not familiar enough with that software program to tell you what to do. It sounds like some change was made to either the version or a setting that started causing this problem, since you say the problem started long after zone alarm was installed.

It's probably as easy as lowering the protection level from HIGH to Medium or Moderately high. You probably do not need any setting for a firewall set to high if you are only one of few computers on the network and just using the internet to browse websites.

[ 11-13-2003, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie,

Obviously something is new or something old went bad . I did install the HP488ca and a Ricoh200 as printers. And I have had all sorts of crashes... even with Word. The work around is an annoyance.. but I know how to get it to work... Re start... I'll try to update drivers and mess with he firewall...

as I wait for a clean new VW to upgrade to.. and I may do it with a new PC... so everything is clean...

defjef

defjef, have you tried re-booting Windows several times without using any programs, perhaps without even letting any programs open automatically? Or removing and then re-installing VectorWorks?

I've often had the kind of problem you described, with other programs as well as with VectorWorks. I tend to try out dozens of different shareware programs before buying one, and occaisionally something gets messed up.

Under Windows 98 I found that everything could be fixed by one of those two procedures. Either let Windows try to heal itself during several shut-down and start-up cycles, as it checks things out and tries to put its house in order, or, if that fails, by letting the program's installer fix the problem.

Under Windows 2000, three very old programs couldn't be saved by those procedures. VW8, thank God, has been completely trouble-free under Win2k.

I haven't used ME, but I've heard it's similar to 98. The hosts of WBAI's Personal Computer Show always said ME was highly prone to bugs, and recommended abandoning it in favor of 98se.