Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Attribute Error

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi everyone,

First of all: thanks for all the helpful threads and sample code that I was able to download from this forum. 

I have been putting together a marionette that pulls book symbols from a folder and places the symbols on a shelf. The script randomizes the books and allows for leaning books with some presets to choose from (random angles, leaning incrementally, all upright etc. You get the idea :-) ). I have now begun to introduce stacks as well. It is all going very well and I am enjoying working with marionette. 

Until I try to wrap my (fairly large) marionette. Sometimes, VWX will let me wrap everything and I get no errors. Sometimes, I get an error when I try to wrap. I then unwrap and the errors continue. Wrapping the same script on a duplicated layer with no changes made may or may not work. If it works, it will continue to work without a hitch.

I have spent hours trying to debug errors of the type "Attribute Error: type object 'Move_Right_And_Up' has no attribute 'Params'. These always point to wrappers within the marionette network but I can see nothing wrong with them. There were some threads dealing with similar errors but none of the solutions mentioned seem to work in my case so, I guess it's time to ask for help.

I attach a rendered scene with version 0.5 of the books (no stacks yet) and a dropbox link to the latest version of the file in case anyone wants to have a look.

Each design layer contains exactly the same marionette with some of them throwing errors, and others working fine. I have labeled the design layers so it is easy to see which is which:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p0zyvf9kwxz10ao/Books (Stable%2C with Flat books v. 0.9).vwx?dl=0

Thanks!

--Stephan

books.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Stephan - I am having trouble downloading your file, but from how you describe what is happening, I think this is a bug. There is a bug that I am aware of when you run a wrapped network for the first time after you have duplicated it by duplicating a layer, and usually, this only happens once for each wrapper in a network. This sounds like what you are talking about, but there may be something else involved too - if you can, please file a bug with Vectorworks.

btw, this sounds like an awesome script!

Looks like an exciting marionette project.

Would like to click an additional "love it" for that brilliant rendering ... 

Did not known yet about that duplicate layer issue. But this looks as a very plausible explanation for my own frustration by using wrappers.

Also I think, there is a problem by switching around connections inside a wrapper, where from outside the wrapper are getting the wrong parameter names. Worse still, to edit code (above all parameter names) inside a node, that is already connected to the network.

I reported similar issues some weeks ago. 

Also that network (looks quite tidy) unfortunately is crashing, if I actualize all PIO Objects (that sometimes can help to fix a network).

Copy Paste the "Working Layer" to a new file, seems to work. Just amazing results ....

Edited by DomC
8 hours ago, DomC said:

Also that network (looks quite tidy) unfortunately is crashing, if I actualize all PIO Objects (that sometimes can help to fix a network).

I have reported the crashing. I have come to a point where I am unable to continue working. As soon as I add "Get 3D Info" and try to use the print node, I crash. I'll try copying and pasting to a new document to see if this helps. It would be a shame to abandon this project now. Lots of things to do. The spacing between angled books and stacks needs to be corrected :-)

10 minutes ago, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

I have reported the crashing. I have come to a point where I am unable to continue working. As soon as I add "Get 3D Info" and try to use the print node, I crash. I'll try copying and pasting to a new document to see if this helps. It would be a shame to abandon this project now. Lots of things to do. The spacing between angled books and stacks needs to be corrected :-)

No luck. Still crashing. I did hesitate to report this as a bug as it may be the way I'm connecting my network that is causing the crashing. However I see no way of debugging this.

@Stephan Moenninghoff Hi, Downloaded (took a few minutes) all ok time goes up and down but watch the download amount and it streams in ok and runs easily and gave me random books on the shelf and then wrapped it up and it works wonderfully. The attached are 2 Objects with different title books.

I wondered why it too about 30sec to copy a block and it turned out to be in 3D WOW.

I see the errors and crashing and will have a look.

Love it. Lot of work there, Great to see new faces in here and doing such great work.

Capture.JPG

3d.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell

Hi adjusted and added one node and not crashing but still has issues of divisible by 0

Down to this error now.

Your Get 3D Info nodes in the top row are calling up ZERO so all your books now are stacking up in the left side.

HTH Time for bed here will look more tomorrow.

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

Edited by Alan Woodwell
  • Marionette Maven
6 hours ago, Stephan Moenninghoff said:

No luck. Still crashing. I did hesitate to report this as a bug as it may be the way I'm connecting my network that is causing the crashing. However I see no way of debugging this.

Hey Stephen,

I just wanted to let you know that I looked over your bug report and I do see the crash on Mac, but I'm not getting a crash on Windows, which is why Alan is able to play around with your network further, but you aren't. I'll make sure our engineer takes a look at it and hopefully he can find where the issue is.

I'll try to take some time later to debug as far as I can go on my own. There are probably some other underlying issues in there somewhere, most likely wrapper errors which we don't see often enough to determine what the issue really is.

Thanks for all your comments. @Alan WoodwellI see the same problem with the "get list length" node. It will start to return zero after a few times running the network. I did put this down to my own noob wiring but maybe you are on to something there. What I am doing is I am sorting the books and then shuffling them inside their sorted blocks so I don't get very wide books stacking on top of very narrow books. At the same time, the stacks don't look totally neat. As I mentioned before, my next step would be to fix the distance between leaning books and stacks. Still a bit of work remaining but I'm loving it. Placing the books manually would have been hours of very dull, repetitive work. 

@Stephan Moenninghoff

Hi, couldn't add more last night as VW Server kept crashing. What I wanted to say was you 3D of each book, some have upto 732 3D polygons which will slow the average computer and cause slowness as you add more shelves of books. You will need to simplify the 3D books so the file size is smaller and things run faster.

The funny thing about the   "get list length" node was the program crashed if i touched this one and any either side of it but could move all the other nodes. Once i replaced it with 2 and got it working I was able to go back to the single node feeding both and no issues.

HTH

17 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

What I wanted to say was you 3D of each book, some have upto 732 3D polygons which will slow the average computer and cause slowness as you add more shelves of books. You will need to simplify the 3D books so the file size is smaller and things run faster.

I can't see any difference in performance on my end between books consisting of meshes and books modeled in VWX. If you have time, would you try using the Penguin paperback collection instead of the Paperbacks? Does that make a difference on your computer in terms of execution speed? 

BTW the reason why I'm using the meshes is I made them outside of VWX (in an app designed to do just box shots of objects) and then imported them via OBJ. The UV mapping of the textures will get destroyed once I enter the mesh.