new 3d software

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, what i noticed about working with the clay was that it seemed to help me work up ideas.  what i mean is that when i started the above model i had no idea what i wanted,  no sketch, no thoughts during the previous night.  I think it helped me design, because i have tried to do a skate park design on the computer and my mind just stalls & i stare at the screen.  maybe too much of my brain is spent on how to do it on the computer. whereas with the clay i just modeled a corner, then i kept adding to it, then i got out my scale to make it to scale.. it just got better and better.  i seriously think that if i got a skatepark job i would model it in clay first.  THEN make CAD plans, sections etc

maybe some nano-clay particles that can bluetooth their xyz position to VW

• Like 2

It's fun to be joky about this, but clay is well *embedded* in many modeling industries. Example, for decades,  US automobile design studios have employed clay rooms and skilled sculptors to mock up the styles.

http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2012/12/26/dreams-and-nightmares-the-clay-studio-edition/

http://buickcity.blogspot.com/2008/02/buick-clay-mockup.html

In other industries, moist clay models can be compressed somewhat, so can give some idea of how soil will respond to compaction. (not sure about the oil clays). Weights and volumes scale for estimates of excavation/fill/export values, etc.

Clients and design teams can quickly understand the volumes and other spacial relationships, make edits, compare to photos & drawings.

As this thread emphasizes, the clay modeling time meter reads LOW and the enjoyment meter reads HIGH. Your results may vary.

Anyway, nice to see this in our CAD forum.  Thanks, DM!

-B

Benson, thanks for the clay model links.  i totally forgot about that stuff.  and here i have been looking into Rhino as the software i need to model a skatepark.  now i know IF i ever get a job to design one i can handle it with just clay.   i bet you can also find a way to estimate cost by weighing how much clay was used.   Hence, confidence is now high, i just need someone to hire me. Thanks!

Did you make a little bridge beam or some other pointing device to measure down for the finish grade elevations?

Those grottos(?) will be super fun skating challenges.

Stick in some string on the coping edges. Pull it off and straighten to measure the edge lengths in scale.

Apply a paint coat of rubber mold material. Peel it off and weight it. Use a density ratio to calculate surface areas.

Make a slightly thicker rubber mold (might need a rigid plaster back) and pull multiple plaster surfaces from it for evaluation, thickness modeling, etc.

A layer of plaster soaked burlap or other fabric would make a shell with fairly uniform scale thickness. Add clay to the back side for foundations and thickened areas.

As you already mentioned, carve the clay back side to a shell with estimated thicknesses for weight/volume estimates.

Cool work. Hope you can sell it!

-B

Benson, i uses 2 machinist rulers (set up like a tee) to measure down.  good suggestions as to other..  i use to be a machinist, then construction, then dental lab (false teeth etc), then fine jewelry repair, THEN i got into cad (1997) so i have a good idea on how to make molds if this thing were ever to take off.  at any rate thanks for the feedback.  i plan on borrowing a surface plate & a surface gage to see if that can help me be more accurate.  

one thing i have noticed is that when i work with my hands i can listen to audio books no problem BUT if i were to do anything like this on the computer...i cannot listen.  computers must use different parts of the brain.  maybe that would be the ultimate GUI test for software designers, that is, if a person can listen to an audio book while using their software then that would show it is truly intuitive. or maybe its just me.

2 hours ago, digitalmechanics said:

one thing i have noticed is that when i work with my hands i can listen to audio books no problem BUT if i were to do anything like this on the computer...i cannot listen.  computers must use different parts of the brain.  maybe that would be the ultimate GUI test for software designers, that is, if a person can listen to an audio book while using their software then that would show it is truly intuitive. or maybe its just me.

Interesting.

I have the same problem.

In the past, when I was drawing by hands I always listened to radio, "podcasts", even TV.

Currently with mouse and keyboard it has to be dead silent. Thought it may be age.

But there is already an (outdated) Wacom Cintiq 27" Touch on the way.

I will see if the loss of distance between mouse hand and monitor and a more natural pen

input will bring me back to my former drawing (or your clay) experience where you see your

hand movements and the result. (Muscle Brain, arm vs wrist only movement)

I think it's a no brainer for 2D drawing and free 3D work, but a bit unsure about CAD with

all time need of shortcuts and numeric input.