We need a central collaborative repository for plugins and Marionette networks

+10000 for this too..

Also @Dieter @ DWorks has been actively developing a similar thing like this for Python.

Found below on BitBucket:

https://bitbucket.org/dieterdworks/vw-dlibrary/src/f83e15c600a4?at=master

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/45527-dlibrary-a-python-library-to-create-plugins-faster-and-with-more-ease/

Great feedback from ComputerWorks.. yes a sneak peak as to what they have planned would be great. Something like what VrayForC4D does with their development via a roadmap: http://www.vrayforc4d.net/v-rayforc4d-3-4-released/ (scroll right to the bottom for upcoming features). As this would help current/potential developers see whats coming up, what they need to concentrate on etc.

@JimWany confirmation from VW North America?

Edited by twk
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Apologies for the lack of detail in my last reply, Yes! I agree entirely. I can not share any screenshots at the moment, the Creative team hasn't had the chance to finalize the UI appearance yet so it's too barebones for public eyes, but I can get a bit more detailed. The nature of not only Marionette but any of scripting-related work requires the direct sharing of those scripts and objects in order for users to properly communicate and learn, that need alone merits such a repository. However, I feel additional reasons and needs for creating a resource like this include:

1) The ability for non-scripters to find and benefit from the generously shared public works of our growing community.

2) A method of versioning so that this repository can also be used as a system of creating resources that can be updated for future versions of the software (Or retired with an explanation as to why and perhaps a link to a successor) without creators or users needing to relocate them each year.

3) More self-contained tutorials on how to accomplish various tasks with scripting with all associated files and instructional videos attached in a neat package.

4) The eventual (This will NOT be included in the early phases of this project, it requires technologies within Vectorworks itself for rights management that do not currently exist) ability for users to monetize content and build libraries of scripts and objects and nodes that they can profit from if they should so choose. 

5) This repository can and should be used for more than just Marionette and other scripting types. It should be a functional replacement for the older Resource Share subforums and allow users to share templates, content libraries and anything else related to Vectorworks that was created by any member of the community.

I think this is another key addition that would bolster and encourage even greater community interaction as well as benefitting Vectorworks users across the globe. I am very glad you brought it up as I appreciate any excuse to ramble on about projects that I have invested myself in ;)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi All,

So I was looking for the exact resource being discussed in this thread - i.e. depository for plugins etc.. But I feel like must of missed something here, is there a link to the actual resource? I can't find it! Perhaps I am being dense, anyone able to enlighten me on this??

I've had a look through announcements etc also but didn't see anything..

7 minutes ago, Asemblance said:

Hi All,

So I was looking for the exact resource being discussed in this thread - i.e. depository for plugins etc.. But I feel like must of missed something here, is there a link to the actual resource? I can't find it! Perhaps I am being dense, anyone able to enlighten me on this??

I've had a look through announcements etc also but didn't see anything..

https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/files/

Alternatively, click "Marionette" at the top of the forum.

Ah I see - Thanks Jim W.

I think I have fundamentally misunderstood the word 'plugins' in the title - I was looking for plugins more along the lines of the 'smartpaste' plugin, whereas the 'Marionette' resource there has a slightly different focus.

Having said this I do need to get my head around the whole 'marionettes' thing so will have a proper look through!

10 minutes ago, Asemblance said:

Ah I see - Thanks Jim W.

I think I have fundamentally misunderstood the word 'plugins' in the title - I was looking for plugins more along the lines of the 'smartpaste' plugin, whereas the 'Marionette' resource there has a slightly different focus.

Having said this I do need to get my head around the whole 'marionettes' thing so will have a proper look through!

For the moment it's only Marionette items, but we plan to expand it to the majority of other resource types, like the more traditional plugins, renderworks textures, symbol libraries etc.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Regarding Marionette,

It something that are rely being used by common users, in daily work?

Looking at the Marionette Forum Gallery it looks like there are not so much users/ shares (the majority of shared files are from people from or working for Vectorworks).

I confess that I have given a trie (two times) to Marionette, and it is something that we can not rely on. It is not stable, the files with Marionette tends to crash down, to heavy to open (simple structure).

There will be some improvements on this field (very promising, but not delivering)?