Advise on using Dropbox for Project Sharing

I use VW Architect in a small design office where we are often project sharing with large files.

Using iMacs and a Mac mini server, VW2017. 600MB connection to both server and internet.

We've had a lot of problems with crashes when we keep the project file on our server when committing changes. We solved this by using dropbox instead.

Although there is an added lag time going through the off-site dropbox server, we aren't getting the crashes as the committed changes happen on our local machine before being uploaded.

We're thinking of implementing this throughout the office, but before we signup for dropbox business, etc. I wanted to ask if anyone else has reached a similar conclusion, or if anyone has experience of dropbox project sharing and could offer some pros and cons.

Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Edited by Moth
On 1/6/2017 at 7:07 PM, Moth said:

I use VW Architect in a small design office where we are often project sharing with large files.

Using iMacs and a Mac mini server, VW2017. 600MB connection to both server and internet.

We've had a lot of problems with crashes when we keep the project file on our server when committing changes. We solved this by using dropbox instead.

Although there is an added lag time going through the off-site dropbox server, we aren't getting the crashes as the committed changes happen on our local machine before being uploaded.

We're thinking of implementing this throughout the office, but before we signup for dropbox business, etc. I wanted to ask if anyone else has reached a similar conclusion, or if anyone has experience of dropbox project sharing and could offer some pros and cons.

Would appreciate any advice, thanks.

I have been trying to wrap my head around this for a little while.  The biggest issue I see is the need to sync everything to the desktop.  We have 6 TB of data in our active project folders.  Obviously, that is not all VW, but even just the VW Drawing folder is between 50-80 gigs per project.  The straight forward problem is that we would need to set aside at least a TB of space on everybody's hard drive to hold the synced files.  Or come up with some drastically new way of thinking about our file server, and/or do constant maintenance and cleanup - which I do not want my staff having to worry about.  

Thanks Tom.

We too came to the conclusion of 1TB of local space, luckily all of our VW users have 3TB hard drives so that works for us.

My main concern is that once we're committed and all up-dating to dropbox, there could start to be some serious lack in the update process because of all the traffic. Hard to test if that's a reality without getting pretty deep into testing...