Improve the floating data display?

barriescott

Question

The color and density of the text used for the floating data display of the Line Tool, Rectangle Tool, etc., are readable, but when using the Tape Measure Tool, the floating data bar is almost unreadable as the text is very faint. It appears to be almost completely greyed out.

I have not been able to find any way to fix this problem. Users should be able to control both the size and color of the text used for the floating data display.

• Like 1

8 answers to this question

You are right.

I never noticed that before.

And can't imagine how a piece of Software that is responsible for display and

input of these coordinate values can have a different appearance when used with

different tools.

I noticed more that the tape measure tool is nearly unusable in any orthogonal

3D View as it always jumps in the uncontrollable 3rd Dimension,

(perpendicular to "screen plane" in that case)

and will mostly ignore "SHIFT" or "T" attempts to lock one axis.

Which will provide you with a wrong or unexpected measurement.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I see an inconsistency, below on Mac with Retina resolution you can see that moving the rectangle has darker text but the Tape Measure tool is much lighter:

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 5.32.51 PM.png   Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 5.33.09 PM.png

But separate from that, I agree this and other UI text should be user customizable on the application level.

On 06/01/2017 at 9:35 AM, JimW said:

I see an inconsistency, below on Mac with Retina resolution you can see that moving the rectangle has darker text but the Tape Measure tool is much lighter:

Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 5.32.51 PM.png   Screen Shot 2017-01-05 at 5.33.09 PM.png

But separate from that, I agree this and other UI text should be user customizable on the application level.

If uneditable text is grey and editable text is blue. Why are the uneditable labels blue not grey?

Edited by Matt Overton

This does not seem like a bug to me.  When you DRAW anything the display is blue.  When you use the tape measure tool you are not drawing anything, you are just measuring

something.

You cannot tab into the fields of the tape measure tool to change them because you are measuring the length of an existing object not setting the length of a object.

( i.e. The fields are not editable, so they should be greyed out like all other non-editable fields, this seems consistent to me).