Spam Prevention

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Because of the increasingly frequent spam posts, I have severely restricted member registration. New members will now not only need to pass captcha verification an confirm their email accounts, but also be manually approved by an administrator. This reversion to the same method that the older boards used is time intensive on my end, but overall tended to be much more reliable at stopping junk from getting on the board.

I may slacken this again if the spike spam is simply a result of the new site appearing on search results, I'll be tracking this closely. Allowing new members to register and immediately ask a question and receive support is one of the key purposes of a public forum like this, so I do not consider making them wait for my approval to be an acceptable long term solution and will be working to provide a different solution. If anyone reading this is having trouble registering, please feel free to email tech@vectorworks.net and we will address your case directly.

• Like 4
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have implemented a different system than described above for approval of new members. It occurs to me that detailing this system publicly is not a great way to maintain security, so I won't do that here ;) but the new setup should both allow for new people to quickly ask questions (at the same time it keeps everyone from having to buy some kind of chinese movie diploma passport...)

If anyone has any troubles related to their member status, please feel free to contact me directly.

• Like 1