2016 Plants do not appear in 2017 3D

gbland

Question

I have updated to Designer 2017 on PC.  In files created in 2016, the 3D representation of the plants do not appear in the model when updated to 2017. Plant objects work fine in files started as 2017 files. This has been reviewed by Tech Support and their recommendation is to not bring my 2016 models into 2017.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  Many of my jobs span multiple years and going back and forth between multiple versions of vectorworks is a pain in the dark side.  I'm hoping that they are working on this for the next Service Pack, but am unsure.  I have seen different threads that say don't bring older models into newer drawings, but I don't plan to keep every version of VW on my computer just so I can work with old files. I did wait until service pack 2 before upgrading in hopes of minimizing bugs.  Any thoughts?

8 answers to this question

Well, for me, when a new VW is released, I don't want work with any previous Version of VW anymore.

So I immediately try to convert every project that may have started with a previous version years ago.

It means some extra work, some risks like different rendering appearance or new bugs of tools

that you rely on.

And of course I keep the original file version as a backup and do some testing before officially

continuing an older project in a new VW version.

Sometimes problems only appear after you did enough work in the new version that there is no

real way back and you hope for service packs. In the worst case you could export the file back

to the previous version.

I can't remember having had problems with converted geometry itself at any time.

Just that I may had problems with early SP's of VW itself or some rendering changes, like the with

last 2017 change of specular implementation in RW textures.

Edited by zoomer
1 hour ago, zoomer said:

Well, for me, when a new VW is released, I don't want work with any previous Version of VW anymore.

So I immediately try to convert every project that may have started with a previous version years ago.

It means some extra work, some risks like different rendering appearance or new bugs of tools

that you rely on.

And of course I keep the original file version as a backup and do some testing before officially

continuing an older project in a new VW version.

Sometimes problems only appear after you did enough work in the new version that there is no

real way back and you hope for service packs. In the worst case you could export the file back

to the previous version.

I can't remember having had problems with converted geometry itself at any time.

Just that I may had problems with early SP's of VW itself or some rendering changes, like the with

last 2017 change of specular implementation in RW textures.

Looks like misunderstood gbland's initial post.

I answered a general question of converting project files into new VW versions :)

And yes, beside what I wrote above,

I also had some converted Image Props disappearing in 2017's OpenGL.

I thought this is a known issue Jim already requested ?