Vectorworks Language Pack

Hi all! 

Hope you had relaxed holidays and wish you successful 2017.

I have question regarding  language versions of VW. Firm where i work, have bought several licences for VW 2017 in German. Is it possible to install English version using one of these licences and can I later erase it and install German version?

Thanks

jan

As far as I heard from my reseller,

it is not possible to install and run german+international Versions beside each other on the same machine.

The licenses don't like each other.

But if the german distributor agrees, he should be able provide you with an international License.

Maybe temporarily until you want to finally switch and > erase and reinstall the international Version.

It was possible to test the German 2017 Version beside my International 2017 Installation,

but that may only been because I used it in "non-licensed" Demo Mode (No Saving)

And I am not sure how much risk even that means, as the German Version uses the same

User Library Folder to save User Settings like Workspaces.

So far as I have seen it used its own german file names for setting files , but that may not be a guarantee

that it will not overwrite or corrupt one of the international settings by accident.

2 hours ago, zoomer said:

So far as I have seen it used its own german file names for setting files , but that may not be a guarantee

that it will not overwrite or corrupt one of the international settings by accident.

OK,

after first attempt starting VW this year interrupted by asking for a serial number I had to recognize

something went wrong.

As I did some clean up work for the new year, I uninstalled all unnecessary Demo Software Packages

including that VW 2017 German Demo.

The Uninstaller, as told, deleted my VW 2017 Preferences. Unfortunately completely including my

international Preferences, not just the german settings.

Before VW I was used that Software keeps everything not added by the Software itself,

like user created files, which will stay inside in its Folders and prevent these from being deleted.

(Like my beautiful, tediously created, Custom Workspace)

Unfortunately VW sees that a little different.

To make things perfect, clean up work for the new year, in this case, also meant some repartition work

on my backup disks including Time Machine HDDs.

So everything gone ...

Yes, or force the rest of the office to use english software :)

What you can do, if computerworks will allow, is to install an english VW 2016 beside

your german VW 2017. Depending on license you could run both beside each other

on your machine. This way you could compare Tool names and terms at the beginning.

But I think you will get used to it quickly if they help learn the few vocables of the software,

which you will hear from now on the hole day anyway.

You could also rearrange the Menu Commands in your custom Workspace so that

they will have the same positions as you were used.

Of course I can read the terms but after being used international VW for 3 years it was

not a big deal to use the german Demo, 80% of things were at the same position and

located by muscle brain :)