Mansard Roof - How do you make one?

Actually, it looks like you have three roof pitches (if you count the flare at the perimeter).  I would build it as three different roofs - one for each different pitch.

1. The low flare from roof slope objects

2. The steep slope from roof slope objects

3. The hipped cap from a roof object

It's too complex to build out of one roof object (in my opinion).

Does that help?

Here's how I would attack it (realizing that this is way beyond the capabilities of any single tool or object). The uppermost form is is (or looks like) a simple low slope hip roof. This is easy with the Create Roof command. The bearing height will take some fiddling, and the chimney would be added later. The main form that bears at the plate can be made by starting with Create Roof using very steep slope (20:12 ?), then Ungroup to get four Roof Faces, then go to Top/Plan and draw a rectangle of the correct size and centered on the center of the Roof Faces' point of intersection, then use that Rectangle to Clip Surface from the Roof Faces (in other words, you just cut a giant square hole in the really steep roof). For the flared bottom I would use (or at least start with) an Extrude Along Path. And for each of  the dormers I would use three Walls and two Roof Faces. Texture (mis)alignment might be interesting and take a little fiddling. Let us know how it works out!

• Like 1