Viewport showing non visible classes

pclary

Question

Something new and odd for me: in my model, I have turned off all classes that I don't want to see in a new viewport. I create a viewport as usual, but when I look at that viewport on the new sheet layer, what should be non visible classes are showing up. I've checked the class visibility for that viewport and everything is as I want. I update the viewport but still it shows unwanted classes. If I make non visible, the classes of the wanted objects, then update, then disappear as expected. But not for the unwanted ones. If I grey the unwanted classes, they change but I can't make them non visible in the viewport, even thought they are in the model. 

Any help would be appreciated

Door__112.vwx

7 answers to this question

So, I think I figured it out: the objects that were showing up were somehow in two classes. Is that possible? i.e.: in my model there are 2x8 framing objects that were assigned the class 'Framing'. Same for plywood, durock...  They were created by class when I made the model. But when I go to the model and select them, they show up as being in the 'None' class in the OIP. But if I change their visibility (i.e.: Framing) via the navigation palette, they show/not show as expected. I re-classed them and now the viewport shows what I want and not what I don't. 

Q: How did I screw up the class for these items? And how did they seem to be in two classes?

Thanks

What kind of objects are they? What tool did you use to insert them in the model?

Based on your description I can't tell what is going on.

There are certain objects that are considered "container" objects. These include Symbols and Groups. In some cases depending on how they are written, Plug-in objects can also be containers. With container objects, both the class of the "container" and the class of the "contained" objects effects the visibility. If the container is not visible, then nothing inside the container can be seen. If the container is visible but the contained objects are  not visible, again, nothing can be seen.

Due to the potential visibility issues, many people like to leave the container objects in the None class and leave that visible all the time. This gives one less place to worry about visibility, but is less flexible in determining visibility when you need it.

Container object visibility is the only way I know of to get a single object to have "two" classes at once.

What do you mean they were "created by class"? Normally objects are created in whatever the active class is when they are drawn.  If the attributes are set to By Class, then the color, fill, line weight, etc. will take those settings from whatever class they are currently assigned to, but this has nothing to do with what class they are assigned when inserted into the drawing.

I hope this helps and that I am not being pedantic.

Pat,

As a brief explanation: I am modeling a steel jamb for a large door in a residence. I had my field dimensions of where the framing, subfloor, stone work, plywood surfaces are and their dimensional relationship to each other. Starting in 2D Plan view, I 'drew' these elements then switched to Iso view and pulled the studs up etc. I covered the walls in plywood and added in the stone work. These objects were mostly drawn with the rectangle tool, switching the Active Class as I created the different items.  Occasionally, Items were created in the wrong class but this was corrected via the OIP. Visibility was toggled on/off as I went via the Navigation Pallet. The model was done and all objects were in their own class. I didn't use any groups or symbols. At least not intentionally! 

I then went to create my drawings for submittal and created viewports on different sheet layers. I started having trouble getting the viewports to show only what I wanted. I was concerned that I was having GPU issues so I shut down VW, rebooted the computer ( 2014 MacBook Pro, running 30" Cinema display). No help. Closed all other programs. Looked at other models  and their sheet layers. All was as I wanted.

The issue: In my door jamb model, the Framing, Plywood, Durock (stone substrate) classes were set to invisible. The model displayed correctly. In the viewports that were created right from the model in the wanted setup, objects were visible that should not have been: The 'Framing' class was marked invisible. As was the plywood and Durock. But I could still see them in the viewport , even thought they weren't visible in the model. I checked the classes in the viewport OIP and they should have been invisible. 

I was looking at the navigation pallet and saw that the current class was the None class. I don't remember putting anything in that class. So, in the model, the framing etc toggled visible/invisible as would be expected as I checked/unchecked the class visibility . But in the viewport, it made no difference. 

Finally, I clicked on a piece of framing, looked at the OIP and it said None. What?!?! Same for all the other objects that visible when they shouldn't have been. At least from the Class visible/invisible selections. I corrected the class for each 'stuck' object and now viewports are only showing what I want. 

So, I assume that somehow I linked these already classed objects into the None class. I don't know how I would have done that. 

Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Thanks,

Peter

1 hour ago, pclary said:

These objects were mostly drawn with the rectangle tool, switching the Active Class as I created the different items.

That drawing work flow is supposed to assign the active class to newly created objects.  But I find it easy to forget to switch to different class when I draw objects intended for the new class.  My normal work flow is draw with None active and use selection strategies and OIP to switch objects to other classes.  I often assign a class to a new object via OIP, then use duplicate or Move by Points, etc  to place copies elsewhere in the drawing.  As Pat points out, symbols and other containers can have objects of several classes contained in them.

Sooo, is it possible that the drawing was actually in None (that's default) when you thought another class was active?

•For instance, if you use Saved Views, they reset the drawing class and layer visibility.

•Another way that supposedly invisible objects can show up in a viewport is if there are duplicates of them on several layers.  Eg if some framing elements were created on a scratch layer and duplicated then reclassed in the model, the viewport might show the originals on the scratch layer.  Check your vp layer visibilities as well as the class visibilities.

Anyway, if a bunch of objects need class change in the design layer:

•Select them individually and reassign via OIP.

•Or use the Select Similar tool or the Custom Selection command.  Careful with these, they can affect objects not on the screen.

Good luck!

-B

Edited by Benson Shaw

Benson,

I see what you're suggesting but if I had done that, why would the objects toggle their visibility when I clicked on the their class visibility from Nav pallet while in the model? 

I'm guessing I did something wonky and now know what to do if I do it again. But I think something else happened. My sheet layers from one model showed up on another model. And I can't get them back. I also couldn't get the paper size to switch to tabloid. Also, title block wouldn't show. I'm redoing all viewports and sheet layers. So far it's all working as expected.

Your tip re selecting similar is good, would've saved time.

Q: In a tutorial from Sean O'Skea, he suggested to turn off autosave during viewport creation -->That VW could get wonky. Is this something to be aware of? I'm using 2017 and his tutorial was for an earlier version I think. 

Thanks