How to place fasteners

Hi,

I could really use a step by step tutorial for how to place a fastener in a certain location and with the proper orientation. I have been doing it in a hap hazard way with rotations, moving of fasteners etc. It's really slow and frustrating. I assume I do it the wrong way. 

I have an object, in this case a bracket, have located the position where I want the fastener inserted using guide lines. Sometimes it is placed at the desired insertion point, sometimes down on the layer plane. Almost always rotated. I have read the Help post about how to do it but I can't seem to make it work. A screen grab is attached with guide lines showing the desired insertion point. 

Thanks

Screenshot 2016-12-29 19.42.43.png

Have you discovered the Automatic mode in the menu bar planes pulldown?  The reference plane highlights.

Working planes are easy to set up and save/name (or not save), too.  Access saved ones in the Working Planes palette.

Usually it's easiest to model this as a symbol containing the bracket, fasteners, etc.

Create it all by itself, in a new blank file.  Put the parts in convenient orientation and use the top/front/etc ordinal views to draw/place objects.

Then save this symbol drawing in your user library.  Or at least save the symbol in a single library file with a bunch of your other symbols.

Paste or reference the symbol into your project drawing. Classes, textures, nested symbols (the fasteners?), etc all move into the project drawing.

-B

Benson,

Yes, I have been using the automatic mode. But I'm still having trouble getting the results I want so sometimes I set a working plane. 

I haven't tried symbols yet. In this case, I'll probably never draw this bracket again as it's a one off solution to a problem. But the gist of my post was how to easily insert a fastener at a certain location and with the proper orientation. On the bracket in the screen grab, I want a fastener at the intersection of the white guide lines on the three tabs of the bracket. Sometimes the fastener inserts at the proper location, but often it's down on the Layer Plane, even if I've set a working plane on the face of the bracket. then i have to move it up into place. Then I have to rotate it.

is there a way to have the insertion point be where I click on the part? And to have it insert normal to the face?

Thanks 

Benson,

Yes, I have been using the automatic mode. But I'm still having trouble getting the results I want so sometimes I set a working plane. 

I haven't tried symbols yet. In this case, I'll probably never draw this bracket again as it's a one off solution to a problem. But the gist of my post was how to easily insert a fastener at a certain location and with the proper orientation. On the bracket in the screen grab, I want a fastener at the intersection of the white guide lines on the three tabs of the bracket. Sometimes the fastener inserts at the proper location, but often it's down on the Layer Plane, even if I've set a working plane on the face of the bracket. then i have to move it up into place. Then I have to rotate it.

is there a way to have the insertion point be where I click on the part? And to have it insert normal to the face?

Thanks

Alan, I end placing fasteners in a lot of the models I do in order to show the architect and the shop how I want things connected.

Here's some screen shots of a simplified process that I end up doing:

1. create object

Screenshot 2016-12-30 18.05.18.pngScreenshot 2016-12-30 18.05.29.png

2. locate location where fastener is wanted

Screenshot 2016-12-30 18.06.31.png

3. get fastener, select 3D, click on cross hair to insert Screenshot 2016-12-30 18.06.53.png

4. fastener shows up on another face than where I clicked and dragged

Screenshot 2016-12-30 18.07.33.png

5. I tried setting a working plane on the top face of the block but get same result 

Screenshot 2016-12-30 18.08.36.pngScreenshot 2016-12-30 18.08.52.png

6. I can go get the bolt and drag it up to the desired insertion point,

Screenshot 2016-12-30 18.19.05.png

7.  then rotate it by using the correct face and the rotate tool.

Screenshot 2016-12-30 18.20.00.png

it seems like a lot of steps to get a fastener inserted. Is there another way?

Or is this the correct process? In your video, you bring the symbol (the bracket) into the model, then you place it.

Thanks for any help,

Peter

Thanks. i guess I don't know how to explain my question adequately. I now see how to snap the fastener to a point but I'm still wondering if my rotate process is correct. If so, I guess the answer to a previous question about is there a way to insert a fastener normal to a face upon insertion, is no.

I appreciate your help

Alan, I don't want to overstay my welcome. But I can't make the automatic working plane work if I'm inserting a fastener. i don't know you do it. I use the back slash key and if I'm drawing a rectangle or a circle, it works like a charm. but if I have my block, hit back slash, hover over a face, the face selects but as soon as i click on the fastener tool, the Layer Plane is selected.

Pclary - Finally tested. Agree with you.  I can't get the Fastener Tool to induce the Automatic Plane.  If Fastener Tool engaged, then pressing the backslash produces no automatic plane mode. Instead, a red warning notice appears at bottom of vwx window.

Notice states: Automatic Working Plane mode is not available in current context. Same in v2016

Other fastener tools (eye bolt, acorn nut, etc) at least invoke the automatic plane.  They often do not respond to the auto plane as expected, but do result in objects with insertion points in expected spacial location. Tested in v2016, too, in which placement makes more sense. But there are still some "off limits" orientations.  Sorry, too tired to follow up on any of this. Maybe tomorrow.

-B

@pclaryHi, Sorry but now I see the tool you are trying to use 'fastener' at top of the Tool Set. Yes i now see what you mean they all drop onto the working plane and you cant place on an upper surface at first option.

All the other items below this note work with automatic working plane. You can rest easy and yo are not going insane.:)

Its my senility kicking in.

• Like 2

Nice video, Alan!!

I tested more. 3d placement has some problems for many, but not al 3d tools and objects.

1. The Fastener tool always ends up on Layer Plane.

2. Working plane can be subverted (some tools) to parallel to Layer play.

Here's a little demo. Not sure why any of this happens. My Graphics Card?

-B