resource problems

ga

We use a master library symbol file which the whole office uses to take symbols hatches etc. from and we have experienced some problems with the new resource system in VW10.

when it becomes necessary to edit one of these symbols for whatever reason, it is impossible to open the master symbol file to do so. we get the error message that we can only open it a read-only file and therefore cannot edit it.

The only work-around that we have is to duplicate the sybol file and give the old one a different name and then change our favourites list in the resource panel. why does this happen?

if a file is on someoues favourites list does this mean that it cannot be opened by someone else?

thanks

Yes, unfortunately. Our office had gone through incredible pain to work around this feature(?). You are very correct that if anyone in your office has the master symbol file under his/her resource brower, you can not open the master symbol file because having a file under the resource brower means that VW thinks this file is open ( explaned by VW tech on the phone rather bluntly by creating the same situation at their desk). I do not know what good it is to have the resource broswer if all the files under are locked to prevent any modification.

can anyone at VW verify that this is the case?

can someone please explain what the point of this is?

if as it seems to me, you must have a file in your 'favourites' if you want to get a resource from it how are you supposed to edit this file from another terminal without deleting the favourites from all the others which have it.

it seems to me that is a problem which needs to be addressed.

I'll second this thread. Working on a project of three buildings on the same site with 120,OOO+ sq. ft. requires us to reference mulitiple files and keep them loaded within the resource browser.

More often than not, we'll have to completely exit from VW in order for someone to reference a symbol from a file that happens to be loaded within someone's resource browser. We had this problem once in a while with VW 8-9, but it happens more frequently within 10.5.

Let me add the third thread to this, which is more disappointing. We are talking about symbols and their updates in a dynamic network environment. Suppose the problem mentioned above gone away. One is able to modify a symbol in the master symbol file while others have this file under their resource brower working and at the same waiting to update the symbol after revision is made. Yes revision is made and the master symbol file is closed finally and everyone is trying to update this symbol in their current files. Yes VW asks 'replace/rename/use' dialogue box when it sees the same symbol name in the current file. So you click replace and every instance of this symbol in the file is replaced with all the revisions. Sounds too good to be true. Yet another modification is necessay to the same symbol that just modified. You do the same to modify the symbol in the master symbol file and close it out. This time around though VW do not ask you to 'replace/rename/use' when you try to update the symbol. You click the symbol from master symbol file under resource browser but it is still placing the old symbol no matter what. Only way to bring it the updated symbol is first to erase the old one in my file's resource brower and bring it again from the master symbol file. This means that all the locations and orientations of symbol are lost and you have to place them again each individually. What use of symbol?

I am in the middle of a full blown project in VW departing from our previsous Microstation. It has 3 individual buildings, each with 3-stories and mixed used occupants reaching total area of 150,000 sq. ft. Obviously these 3 buildings share a great deal of details in plans, elevations, sections and what have you. We first tried to use symbol referencing between files for common details and that didn't work because of update sequence and circular referencing (let me know if you want to hear about it) and second we tried to use just plain symbols through resource brower and it didn't work. We are about to give up on symbol at last.