Error in creating texture in VW2017

teddy4174

Question

I am getting this error when I try to make a new texture on VW 2017

("Unable to create a graphics importer for the file. The system may not have an importer installed or memory may be low")

as I'm getting some texture in black after imported from an older version.

Solid colours are doing alright but not those with texture/patterns. 

Any comments appreciated. Thank you!

1.jpg

16 answers to this question

Hi, Teddy4174.  1st post and no answer for 3 days! Sorry.  Please add a signature to your Forum profile.  Include your system spec, vwx version, etc.

Guessing that your image file is too big or in a format that vwx does not recognize.  Try this: Use image software to export a smaller copy of your image file in jpg or png or even pdf format (Photoshop, Preview, GIMP, etc).  Size it down to .5Mb. (You can always do over with more resolution). Create the texture with this new file. Apply to a simple object in a new, blank vwx file and test some renders.

Another test is to select a known, working image texture in the Resource Manager. Give it a new name, Edit the color/image shader with your image, or the smaller version of your image.

OK,  post back with results.

-B

8 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

Hi, Teddy4174.  1st post and no answer for 3 days! Sorry.  Please add a signature to your Forum profile.  Include your system spec, vwx version, etc.

Guessing that your image file is too big or in a format that vwx does not recognize.  Try this: Use image software to export a smaller copy of your image file in jpg or png or even pdf format (Photoshop, Preview, GIMP, etc).  Size it down to .5Mb. (You can always do over with more resolution). Create the texture with this new file. Apply to a simple object in a new, blank vwx file and test some renders.

Another test is to select a known, working image texture in the Resource Manager. Give it a new name, Edit the color/image shader with your image, or the smaller version of your image.

OK,  post back with results.

-B

Hi Benson Shaw.

Happy New Year to you!

Anyway, its alright and Thank You for your reply. I did add a signature once I sign up, should be view able.

Followed both of your methods but still getting black texture.

Attached here is how it looks like even I try to edit  with the existing texture.

And you will notice that my textures in the file that I imported from VW2016 are all invisble except one which I added in from VW2017

The black flooring is the Wood Flooring Maple from the existing libraries while the black wall is images that I imported. 

I'm pretty new to VW and VW 2016 works just fine for me but not VW2017. Sigh.

Upgraded my graphic card to 6GB and 16GB ram. 

Oh did I miss out anything like quicktime? 

Really appreciate  your reply. Thank you!

. Heidi .

3.jpg

Edited by teddy4174

Couple ideas. Objects need a color fill in order to display a texture. So be sure the floor object has fill. If the floor is a slab or other object with components then look in the OIP  render tab and check mark "overall" or pick components and click through them and assign texture to each face

Textures can be assigned by class if the object is set for attributes " by class". This could apply to both wall and floor.  The wall looks like it has texture because it has reflection. But it might be wrong texture for that class, or wall is in wrong class. Select the wall, note its class, make sure it is class you intend. Then in the Nav palette>class tab, select and edit the class. Bottom of dialog has texture tabs. Open them and assign correct texture.

ok just some ideas -B

• Like 1
On 12/31/2016 at 3:02 PM, Benson Shaw said:

Couple ideas. Objects need a color fill in order to display a texture. So be sure the floor object has fill. If the floor is a slab or other object with components then look in the OIP  render tab and check mark "overall" or pick components and click through them and assign texture to each face

Textures can be assigned by class if the object is set for attributes " by class". This could apply to both wall and floor.  The wall looks like it has texture because it has reflection. But it might be wrong texture for that class, or wall is in wrong class. Select the wall, note its class, make sure it is class you intend. Then in the Nav palette>class tab, select and edit the class. Bottom of dialog has texture tabs. Open them and assign correct texture.

ok just some ideas -B

Ok thanks for advise, will give it a try and let you know again. 

.Heidi. 

On 1/4/2017 at 10:00 AM, Alan Woodwell said:

Did you update your library in the change to 2017, this may assist also.

Hi Alan,

Apologies for being absent on this issue.

·         Updated  VW2017 and now I have problem exporting my image file.

·         Create on a new black page, VW 2017 crashes  every time it renders

·         Still unable to solve the texture problem but surprisingly on another computer, I’m able to apply existing textures from the library but not creating a new one.

@teddy4174 The file seems to work as expected.  No black items.

Attached view shows your file with no mods except flyover view and rendered in OGL (shown) and FQRW. Same result either render.

Your north wall shows the RW Birch wood texture all surfaces.

No black renders on any objects.

Can you post a screenshot of your comparable view render?

I added the N Arrow at 0,0 and rendered again with same results.

-B

ViewtoSE.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
checked clip cube status = off
1 minute ago, Benson Shaw said:

@teddy4174 The file seems to work as expected.  No black items.

Attached view shows your file with no mods except flyover view and rendered in OGL (shown) and FQRW. Same result either render.

Your north wall shows the RW Birch wood texture all surfaces.

No black renders on any objects.

I added the N Arrow at 0,0 and rendered again with same results.

-B

ViewtoSE.png

@Benson Shaw

Thank you if only it appear in my pc. 

What could be the problem?

Is the graphic card the culprit?

Or my computer spec is not enough to support the texture.