What causes VW to slow down?

Depending on the type of work you are doing, undo can take a while. 3d solids operations will take a long time.

Also, if you have your undo history set to a high number and you are doing several renderings and/or solids operations, the program may slow down as these items are stored in memory the entire time.

There may be more than one aspect to this.

I find that in v10, exiting groups and symbols takes a long time. Even exiting a simple detail bubble can take 5 or 6 seconds. spinning ball. it didn't use to be that way.

I also find, as others have noted many times, that vw performance can degrade over time and the way to restore performance is to quit and restart the computer. This happended yesterday and that one operation made a remarkable improvement. In particular, smart cursor behavior went from very tedious and sluggish to snappy.

I should note also that operating system stability is greatly improved over a few years ago, so the house cleaning that occurs with restarting happens much less often.

Regards,

Donald

I agree, Vectorworks 10.X is much slower than 9.X. I find that I must group things to allow me to nudge them. Using the 2d reshape tool can take minutes to complete, and don't try to work with a layer_link visible. Dialog boxes take a long time to appear on the screen (comparatively). I could go on and on, but simply said 10.x is a very slow version of Vectorworks.

Pang and David, Please send the problematic files along with a detailed description of the problem and all OS and VW version information to tech@nemetschek.net.

They will be able to help determine where the problem is. If it's a problem with VW, the engineers need the information as soon as possible to fix. Tech Support can take the information to the engineers if need be.