Referenced Viewports - Class / Layer Visibility Control across viewports

Hi -- I am referencing Part "P" into Assembly "A"

I have classes / layers in "P" that I want to hide / show in different viewports in "A".

How do I go about this ?

When I go to the "Layers" or "Classes" visabilites in the Viewport dialogue box - I don't see the referenced layers / classes. Only the local ones.

I don't want to control from the referenced viewport object of "P" - as I don't want it to be for ALL viewports in "A".

Hope this makes sense :)

Thanks!

It does. :-)

I usually duplicate the Part P reference on as many different design layers as I need and change the visibility on each DLVP.

It's been a while since I did this so I don't remember the details, but have you tried making part P a symbol in the source document and referencing the symbol the old fashioned way?  I used to do this all the time, but now I can't remember the details.  But I think the class will come into the target drawing from the source drawing and let you control them in SLVPs.

hth

mk

Michael is correct, the Layers/Classes of referenced Design Layer Viewports are hidden from being seen except in the viewport visibilities.

So, if you need to see different sets of Layers/Classes, you will need to have multiple Design Layer Viewports each with a different set of visibilities. You could then give each Design Layer Viewport a separate class so you can switch between then by just changing a single class visibility in the A file.

• Like 2

Additionally... if you want the Design Layer Viewports' class visibilities to be determined by the Navigation Palette (just like controlling the visibility of normal objects), select the referenced Viewport, click "Classes" in the OIP, and check the box that says "Use current document's class visibilities". Then the referenced viewport will hide and show things as you turn classes off and on in the Nav Palette.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 7.38.02 AM.png

The catch here is this only works if you have the same class names in your active document. If you don't, you can always right click in the Nav Palette to make a new class, choose "Import Classes", and import the class names from your other file, making them now available to use in the Nav Palette.

Screen Shot 2016-12-28 at 7.35.20 AM.png

• Like 1