Flowcharts for Speakers

Hi there,

I am in the process of getting Vectorworks for myself. I am a Sound-engineer and wonder if I can use the Cable Tool in VW Spotlight to do Speaker cable Flowcharts.

In an Ideal world I would like to run it like the lampies. I am not deep enough into it yet to figure that out myself. 

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Gert Sanner

The quick answer is yes.  The long answer is a bunch of questions

You will have to draw the paths yourself, but you can get a lot of information from them.  Given that you have to draw the paths yourself, what information would you want?  Typically,  stage electricians doing lighting want:

How long is the cable path?

What cable inventory is needed?

How much of what needs to pulled from the  shop or rented?

What is the voltage drop?

As for drawing the paths, Vectorworks has a lot of good tools to make this easy and accurate.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

HTH,

Sam

Samuel L. Jones
Developer of AutoPlot Tools for SpotLight
E-mail: sjones@autoplotvw.com

One of my first thoughts when seeing how Marionette works, that it would be a great flow charting tool. The way the mesh lines connect and stay connected as you move stuff around is ideal.

I believe that there are some good electrical tools in Architect, but I've never really investigated. Might be suitable for schematics.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Great tip Peter!!

Quick tip for drawing connecting lines as I end up doing this kind of thing all the time.  I used to draw horizontal and vertical lines that overlapped and used the Trim Tool to slice the lines to the specific length. The problem is, you end up with all kinds of bits to delete assuming your intersecting lines are intersecting more than just themselves. Now I use the Fillet tool and set the Fillet radius pretty small so as to be unnoticeable. Now when you connect two lines this way, there are no additional lines to delete. You can also connect lines that don’t even come close to intersecting. It makes these kinds of drawings go very quickly.