Change the naming of Design Layers & Sheet Layers

Juan Herrera

Question

8 answers to this question

I have to agree.  I've always found the use of the word "Design" along with "Layers" to be odd and I guess it was more of a concept term or a descriptor in the title itself.

Sheet Layers would suggest that your stacking sheets in some way but that is only a visual thing in the Navigation Palette.  I'm giving this a vote up.

Is there any real need for the distinction to remain between the two and couldn't we just have layers that are functional enough to be both?

Certainly, in all the offices I've worked in we adopt this shorthand of layers meaning design layers and sheets being sheet layers. I do recall at least one the VW trainers in the Sydney area always taught the shorthand. So I'm not going to disagree with changing it in the programme for clarity. 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

On 12/26/2016 at 0:36 PM, Juan Herrera said:

Design Layers & Sheet Layer should be change to just Layers & Sheets.

This would be very helpful change. When I am training new (and even some experienced) users, it is one aspect that I do need to spend time "translating" almost every time. Disambiguating the two terms within the application would definitely help users' adoption of core concept best practices.

-Neil

For teaching new people - this is a little confusing.  Many in our office use the AutoCad names - Model and Paper space.  I used to correct them, but now I have found that it leads to less confusion.  About 85% of the time when somebody says 'Layers" they mean design Layers - but it always has to be clarified. 

Semantics are important.  My resolution this year was to "Simplify" - this fits in nicely.  Let's do this for 2018.

On 1/5/2017 at 2:06 AM, Matt Overton said:

Is there any real need for the distinction to remain between the two and couldn't we just have layers that are functional enough to be both?

Some people do use Design layers as sheets - and I guess you could use DLVPs to set up complex sheets.  

So short answer yes - long answer - you would need to be crazy not to want to separate your layouts from geometry.  

6 hours ago, Tom Klaber said:

Some people do use Design layers as sheets - and I guess you could use DLVPs to set up complex sheets.  

So short answer yes - long answer - you would need to be crazy not to want to separate your layouts from geometry.  

If the single layer had all the function of either layer type then you can create the separation to suit yourself, not the programmers. It's not like the programmers are even committed to the separation given how often you see layer lists that don't demarcate them correctly.

@Matt Overton - True, but how would you make this separation?  It seems to me that this is so fundamental that having a tab separation rathere than a long list with a line speration is better.

Ideally - I would like more robust navigation options - where I can make my own lists - probably in 'tab' form.  We generate many different sets from one set of plans.  There will be the Construction Set, the Building Department Set, the Landmark Set.  I would love for Layout to get more robust and flexible - where I could make my own navigation tabs to flip between these different 'sets'.