smeshenberg

Camera Match Not Working

I can't get my camermatch to work.  It's always way off no matter how I put my reference lines.  I've tried multiple reference marks and lots of different placements of the reference lines and I can't get it anywhere close.  Is it just me or is something strange going on?

CMA_Cameramatch.vwx

Edited by smeshenberg
Uploaded the wrong file

Matt,

I can't thank you enough for you personal assistance with this.  You really helped me understand the importance of accuracy with the perspective lines.  I also did not realize the importance of making sure that the reference object was in line with the perspective lines.

For the forum - if anyone is listening - The problem was that I had the reference object way far away from the perspective lines, and not really on a point that the perspective lines were converging on.  I also had my vertical perspective lines what I thought was just a couple pixels off.  A couple pixels is a big deal.  It really needs to be super accurate and you need to be sure that the vertical element in the photo that you're using is actually vertical.  If you're using something like a pillar you're probably fine, but if you're using something like a home-made accent piece somebody installed, you're trusting your accuracy to that guy's spirit level.  Thanks again Matt for your above-and-beyond level of support.

Edited by smeshenberg
Hit Enter too soon
  • Like 1

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help!

Just to clarify, the reference object (in the design layer) and the reference target (in the Camera Match object) should be placed somewhere on the vertical place containing the measured line (the control line given a dimension). This is assuming you're using a left or right control line as the measured line. If using the a vertical (blue) control line as a measured line, the reference should be placed somewhere along the axis of that control line. The purpose of this is to allow Camera Match to calculate the proper camera distance. If the reference is not placed correctly, it results in the wrong camera distance. Just to note: The camera distance can still be corrected using the tune view's "camera distance" control. So don't get TOO worried about this.

As you mentioned, the accuracy of the control lines is very important. All three vanishing points directly effect one another in the calculations (in ways you may not expect).

• Like 2

Matt, What an incredibly simple and clear walkthrough of part of the process. We need more like this and the best part was that you were thinking out loud which helps in dealing with problems we face when doing this.

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks, Alan!

Most people near my office complain about my thinking out loud.  :-P

Edited by Matt Panzer
typo

On 12/21/2016 at 3:03 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Hi smeshenberg,

This video walks through what I did to correct your file:

CMA_Cameramatch-Help.mp4 22.94 MB · 114 downloads

Let me know if you have any questions.

@Matt Panzer  this is a really helpful video! I can't believe it's not more widely available. I've been trawling through every bit of info on Camera Match I can find + unless I missed it I don't believe anything out there explains the relationship between the Reference Target + the measured line as well as you do here. And showing so clearly how dramatic an effect tiny tweaks to the control lines have on the preview object. Might be four years after the event but really glad to have come across it so thank you

18 hours ago, Tom W. said:

@Matt Panzer  this is a really helpful video! I can't believe it's not more widely available. I've been trawling through every bit of info on Camera Match I can find + unless I missed it I don't believe anything out there explains the relationship between the Reference Target + the measured line as well as you do here. And showing so clearly how dramatic an effect tiny tweaks to the control lines have on the preview object. Might be four years after the event but really glad to have come across it so thank you

Thanks Tom!