Camera Match Not Working

Matt,

I can't thank you enough for you personal assistance with this.  You really helped me understand the importance of accuracy with the perspective lines.  I also did not realize the importance of making sure that the reference object was in line with the perspective lines.

For the forum - if anyone is listening - The problem was that I had the reference object way far away from the perspective lines, and not really on a point that the perspective lines were converging on.  I also had my vertical perspective lines what I thought was just a couple pixels off.  A couple pixels is a big deal.  It really needs to be super accurate and you need to be sure that the vertical element in the photo that you're using is actually vertical.  If you're using something like a pillar you're probably fine, but if you're using something like a home-made accent piece somebody installed, you're trusting your accuracy to that guy's spirit level.  Thanks again Matt for your above-and-beyond level of support.

Edited by smeshenberg
Hit Enter too soon
  • Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You're very welcome! I'm happy to help!

Just to clarify, the reference object (in the design layer) and the reference target (in the Camera Match object) should be placed somewhere on the vertical place containing the measured line (the control line given a dimension). This is assuming you're using a left or right control line as the measured line. If using the a vertical (blue) control line as a measured line, the reference should be placed somewhere along the axis of that control line. The purpose of this is to allow Camera Match to calculate the proper camera distance. If the reference is not placed correctly, it results in the wrong camera distance. Just to note: The camera distance can still be corrected using the tune view's "camera distance" control. So don't get TOO worried about this.

As you mentioned, the accuracy of the control lines is very important. All three vanishing points directly effect one another in the calculations (in ways you may not expect).

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
On 12/21/2016 at 3:03 PM, Matt Panzer said:

Hi smeshenberg,

This video walks through what I did to correct your file:

CMA_Cameramatch-Help.mp4 22.94 MB · 114 downloads

Let me know if you have any questions.

@Matt Panzer  this is a really helpful video! I can't believe it's not more widely available. I've been trawling through every bit of info on Camera Match I can find + unless I missed it I don't believe anything out there explains the relationship between the Reference Target + the measured line as well as you do here. And showing so clearly how dramatic an effect tiny tweaks to the control lines have on the preview object. Might be four years after the event but really glad to have come across it so thank you

18 hours ago, Tom W. said:

@Matt Panzer  this is a really helpful video! I can't believe it's not more widely available. I've been trawling through every bit of info on Camera Match I can find + unless I missed it I don't believe anything out there explains the relationship between the Reference Target + the measured line as well as you do here. And showing so clearly how dramatic an effect tiny tweaks to the control lines have on the preview object. Might be four years after the event but really glad to have come across it so thank you

Thanks Tom!

• 2 years later...

Hi Matt

Just trawling through your mini tutorial, very interesting, thankyou. My issue is that the Reference object and the Camera Match object don't line up. What's the point of putting those two points in if they don't align immediately and become the centre of rotation or scaling for the model? Also, can you use the horizontal reference lines instead of the vertical, I can't get a good vertical reference measurements for those lines.Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike,

On 4/14/2023 at 1:10 AM, Technoflash said:

Hi Matt

Just trawling through your mini tutorial, very interesting, thankyou. My issue is that the Reference object and the Camera Match object don't line up. What's the point of putting those two points in if they don't align immediately and become the centre of rotation or scaling for the model?

These points should align when you click on the "Set View to Match" button in the Objet Info palette.  They also should stay aligned when using the "Fine Tune View" dialog (also invoked from the Object Info palette).  Is this not what you're seeing?

On 4/14/2023 at 1:10 AM, Technoflash said:

Also, can you use the horizontal reference lines instead of the vertical, I can't get a good vertical reference measurements for those lines.

Yes. You can select any of the control lines as the "Measured Line" by selecting it in the popup in the Object Info palette.