greetings,

2 layers;

Both same scale,

Views are aligned,

Classes & Layers are set to show/snap/modify others,

Smart cursor cues turned on,

Permissions repaired,

Machine re-started and VW rebooted.

As far as the cursor is concerned, the objects on the non-active layer (2D& 3D) are invisible. There is no response let alone snapping or modifying.

I've found this many times before, has anyone any ideas on this??

cheers,

N.

From 10.5 What's new:

quote:

VectorWorks 3D snapping capability has been greatly enhanced. Now the VectorWorks Smart Cursor? can easily find 3D objects, points, centers and distances along curves and edges, making it easy to create and align 3D objects.

Huh?

are we saying the above "3D enhancements" are only true as long as we are NOT working in 3D???

Is it just me that thinks this is um, strange?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:

are we saying the above "3D enhancements" are only true as long as we are NOT working in 3D???

No. The 3-D snaps simply do not work across layers, only on 3-D objects on the active layer. If you want to snap to 3-D objects on a different layer you'll have to make a layer link.

Press the zero key on the keypad to change the layer back to top/plan view. Sometimes a slip of the hand or a command will leave a layer in one of the 3d views. This can be seen when you pull down the layers to change the active layer. The top/plan are little squares and the 3d views are little iso shapes.

Thankyou Andrew and others,

The layer link business works, even if a bit of a nuisance making and then undoing the link when finished aligning objects.

The work I do on VW is all 3D furniture design, and usually done with different components on different layers. The ability to do 3D snapping across layers would be a large improvement for me (Mechanical users also I would think).

cheers,

N.

quote:

Originally posted by propstuff:

The work I do on VW is all 3D furniture design, and usually done with different components on different layers.

cheers,

N.

Instead of using layers, try using classes and groups. This is what I do. You can group the pieces of your various components and then apply a class to the group.

Good Luck

• 4 months later...