Stories - Building Option Addition

martinfdc

Question

Vectorworks should have the option of not only Stories and Levels but also an option for Buildings. With "Buildings" on would be able to group stories and levels to buildings. This would allow more organization and control when working with buildings or structures in the same file that have different stories with varying levels.

New Buildings Option.png

Edited by martinfdc
  • Like 1

6 answers to this question

I'm not sure this is a good idea as I could see things getting confusing really quickly.

I think the current approach is simpler and works better. If you are working on a project that has multiple buildings, you have each building in a separate file and reference them all together in a Master file. Simpler is better.

It would not necessarily mean the user interface would would get more complex. It would simply get more capable. For example, if one doesn't use stories in a project, the existence of stories doesn't interfere with the workflow. Stories just sit quietly under the organization tab. If you want to use stories then you can incorporate it into your workflow. Something similar should happen with "Buildings".

How to assign the Buildings is the tricky part and should be studied the most.  I think a feasible way would be to create a "Building" under the organization palette and then drag and drop the layers you want assigned to each particular building. In a way somehow similar to the the hierarchical display of classes...

• Like 1

Yes, currently we have Classes and Stories with What and Where.

And now Stories that compete with Classes a bit.

If we would see Layers just like another Dimension of Classes, there could be even much more

beside each other,

like Existing vs New, Structural vs Non-Structural, Architecture vs MEP vs Engineering, ...

If a user creates a new custom Dimension, it will just appear as a new dropdown in OIP under Class/Layers.

And a new Tab in Navigation and Organization Palette.

And maybe also in Classes, so that if Classes bound to Landscape, they will not clutter your Class Navigation

as long as the Landscape Dimension is off.

One who doesn't like or need this will not see that feature.

2 hours ago, martinfdc said:

It would not necessarily mean the user interface would would get more complex. It would simply get more capable. For example, if one doesn't use stories in a project, the existence of stories doesn't interfere with the workflow. Stories just sit quietly under the organization tab. If you want to use stories then you can incorporate it into your workflow. Something similar should happen with "Buildings".

How to assign the Buildings is the tricky part and should be studied the most.  I think a feasible way would be to create a "Building" under the organization palette and then drag and drop the layers you want assigned to each particular building. In a way somehow similar to the the hierarchical display of classes...

There isn't one of our current project this wouldn't be useful for. I don't see this as being any more or less complicated than current day to day and a lot less complicated when our world is complex*. It should be a lot clearer and more direct. Certainly this would much better for dividing simple models of neighbours building up to avoid cluttering the working layers.

We could always pitch along side this much needed improvements to other features to help everyone even if they don't use this. Storey styles comes to mind as a way of capturing storey levels better than default does now and would be easier to update to boot. I'm sure there are others this is just the first to come to mind.

I personally don't see this requiring a new tab as I think it would be better as one tab but use the hierarchical display within the storey tab. So you can see visually how it comes together.  Layers could be assigned to a Storey in the same way they now if they haven't been directly created by this tab directly.

*Seriously 24 storey building every floor shorten by 50mm to get a 25th storey in so much fun getting all that right again. Although this was pre-BIM and pre-storeys so the modelling was all about shadows and presentation no elevations or sections.