Organizing Layers and Sheets

Alexandre is right, Layers and classes are very different organizational tools. Layers are used for placing objects in space, where one layer is above or below another where Classses are used for identifing what an object is but not where it is.

Sort of like if the objects we create were animals the Layer is the habitate the animal lives in and the Class would be the species.

Good Luck

OK, so that's it for layers. How about organizing sheets? Anyway to do get them organized like can do with classes?

I make detailed drawings where I need to turn classes and layers off just so I can make sense of what's going on. Navigating to theses views can be really slow. Sheets help a lot, but I can have 30 plus sheets in some drawings, and that gets confusing too. It would be great if sheets could be placed in folders that then "pop-open" when you roll over the folders name in the sheets pop-up list in the lower tools section of the VW window.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

You can't do that with sheets. Sheets are just listed. There is not way to classify them.

Right, Katie, but I think the suggestion is that NNA provide a nesting mechanism as is done for classes. Since sheets don't have an order issue like layers do, this could be accomplished via the same technique; one dash (or perhaps two) would indicate a base name and a sub-name, and all sheets with the same base name should show up as sub-menu elements off of the base name. It's certainly a sensible suggestion.