Symbols in Vectorworks 10.5

I have been using Vectorworks 10.5 at work on the following machine configuration - Microsoft Windows XP Version 2002 Service Pack 1, running on Pentium 4 2.40Ghz with 512MB Ram, and have experienced some loss of performance when using symbols within the drawing(s).

For example when panning the drawing (ISO A1 sized) with the hand tool or zooming in / out, the drawing on the screen takes a significant period of time to update. Dropping the symbols into groups and stripping out the hatches improves the update speed to the point that it is almost unnoticeable, however this denies the benefits of one symbol being repeated a number of times within the drawing.

Any thoughts or advice?

[ 10-24-2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Child ]

Whats your Vidoe card 128 minimum should be i believe .

I run same setup but 128Meg with 1Gig of ram .Always slows down on hatches.

One thing I have been able to help to delete or merge unwanted classes,Especially any autocad layers that are imported as classes this has helped me gain a little .

Also check 2d resolution settings in your preferences.

Sometimes when I get slowed by hatches go to 3d plan view to do scrolling as this hides all the slowing 2d stuff.

Frustrating eh .Hope this may be of help.

Regards

Brendan

We have checked the settings on the computers in the office, the machine I work on has the following card installed,

"Display Adaptor

NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 400

Chip Type: Running GeForce2MX/MX400

DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC

Memory Size: 64MB

Adapter String: GeForce2 MX/MX400

Bios Information: Version 3.11.01.26.02"

The other machines are running with 32MB cards.

I have checked through some of the drawings to make sure there are no unnecessary classes and have checked that there are no 3d objects within a 2d drawing.

The real problems arise when symbols are introduced, with no symbols only groups the drawing updates fine, but with more symbols or just one symbol repeated the update of the screen slows and performance suffers.

Would there be a great benefit if the graphics cards and memory were improved or would this problem persist?

• Administrator

Are you saying that 10.5 is slower than previous versions of VectorWorks? If so, please send me details and include a file which exhibits this performance degradation. We'll take a look.

Send it to:

pharr@nemetschek.net

Thanks!

It wasn't so much that V10.5 is slower than another or earlier version of Vectorworks, rather that two files of the same drawing, one with symbols and hatches and one without but instead grouped, appear to behave differently with the latter updating on the screen almost instantly.

I believe that the response to the topic "memory leaks in V10.5" regarding hatches in cavity walls may be the answer.

Thanks

[ 10-28-2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Child ]