Anti Aliasing..........I think

Forgive the ignorance of this question. In my drawings, gently curved lines, diagonal lines and OpenGL rendered models appear to be jagged rather than smooth sided. I had assumed that this was caused by my ancient steam driven hardware and that if I upgraded and got a halfway decent graphics card that all would be smooth as a baby?s b***. However from reading some of the posts I am getting the impression that this is not the case and that OpenGL does not support Anti-Aliasing (whatever that means). Can anybody answer me? Will upgrading my hardware give my OpenGL rendered models and my lines smooth edges?

There?s lots of negative stuff on here about 10.5, so much so that I was reluctant to upgrade. Anyway I finally upgraded a couple of days ago, because I needed a new toy to play with???..FANTASTIC.

Christian

VW10.5

W2K SP4

PIII 550 Mhz 394MB

Kaare

Thanks for the reply.

I do not understand what you mean by increasing and reducing the image files - please could you clarify.

The other thing. What about gently curved lines or diagonal lines in 2D. Will a better graphics card make them smooth, or will they always be jagged?

Christian

christian, please clarify whether you are talking about screen images or printed images.

Some OpenGL cards and drivers do support various types of anti-aliasing. You need to research them individually. This comment applies to screen images, since the video display is an entirely different issue from printfile output.

christian, you can export an image that can be printed. As Kaare says, the number of pixels (size of file) determines how much aliasing you will see in the printed image. Printing a 4200x6000 pixel image at 600 dpi (letter size) will give you a very smooth-looking picture. Your computer screen is probably 72dpi, so no matter how much information is available you will see aliasing at the monitor because of that physical limitation - unless the image is displayed using anti-aliasing interpolation, which blends pixels on either side of a hard line, softening both the line and the "jumps" that occur from one band of pixels to the next. Some video cards and drivers support anti-aliasing for OpenGL, some apparently don't.

[ 10-31-2003, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]