VW serial number - why do I crash after visiting this website?

It seems that sometimes when I post a message on this board, VW crashes, telling me that I don't have enough serial numbers. I have just one serial number and one workstation here in my home office, and this problem never occurred before upgrading to version 10.5. I lose work when this happens. I also get internet security warnings about backdoor Trojan horse inquiries, located as coming from a computer in the Washington area, when I am on this site. Are you attempting to probe my computer about the serial number when I am on this site? Is there some kind of bug that explains why I am crashing with this serial number warning?

P,

You are on a PC I think?

You might have Spyware installed on your machine. This is installed surreptitiously when you visit some sites (eg "free Utilities", "free screensavers" etc) in return for the advertiser's financial support of the site.

The Spyware registers OTHER sites you go to and pushes advertising material that has been "identified" as being "of interest" to visitors to that site.

I am of the understanding that cleaning the registers is not sufficient to get rid of it.......????

Just a guess........

HTH

N.

Katie, yes I am using Symantec (Norton) Internet Security. Is it possible that this is causing the serial-number-related crash? I know that the program monitors VW queries on my LAN (consisting of my computer and my wife's!)

Also, I do want to know whether the NNA tech support site is making any kind of intrusion with my computer when I am logged on.

I am fairly certain the UBB InfoPop message board software is not doing any sort of spying.

I didn't find any information pertaining to that on their site. They have to state if they have any type of spyware or spying capabilities.

Chances are, it's Norton, which you should be more afraid of spying on you than anything, that is causing the problem.

Norton has different levels of control and different proxy settings, firewall settings, etc for internet connections.

It would make some sort of sense that some setting in norton to be the culprit knowing how the internet works and how the serial number verification process works.