3D Symbols Disappearing when Grouped

This is related to an issue that's been brought up a few times on these boards since the 2017 release, and which still persists in SP2, wherein things randomly disappear when in containers (groups, symbols, etc.). I think I've found a repeatable instance of this occurring, at least on my machine. I've attached a file with a few instances of a 3D symbol. When you select the 3 symbols and group them, they disappear in all views except Top/Plan (they're still there, but aren't drawn). Can someone confirm whether or not this happens on their machine?

This particular issue and similar issues with container objects have been really messing up my workflow lately. Hopefully the root of the problem can be nailed down soon :)

SymbolsDisappearBug.vwx

Sorry, Andy - Not confirmed.  Things act as expected in your file if I group the symbols, ungroup, change render or view, group again, etc.  The objects  display properly.  I cannot recreate the disappearing act you describe.  Did you try a reboot?

I did see disappearing and scale strangeness in one of my files a couple weeks ago.  That manifested in symbols with NURBS surfaces in them.  Changing the graphics setting and reboot helped.  This could be an intermittent problem, so my tests might have different results on a different session.

My MBP is 15" retina, mid 2014

MacOS Yosemite v10.10.5

VWX 2017 SP2

Display Navigation Graphics set to Good Performance and Compatibility

-B

Also can't reproduce in your file,

even if I use "Best performance" in OpenGL.

I had this constantly in SP 0 (SP 1 still ?) and only from time to time in SP 2.

I think it needs more complex files and working a longer time in these.

Maybe also to not save for a while.

But I also do have that from time to time.

It was still happening after a complete system and VW reboot. And still happened today when I opened that file and tried it.

THEN... I switched Navigation Graphics from "Best Performance" to "Good Performance and Compatibility" and it went away. But the weird thing is that I then switched it back to "Best Performance" the issue didn't come back! How could switching the quality to medium then back to high make the issue go away?

Intermittent bugs are the worst bugs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 12/17/2016 at 3:25 PM, Andy Broomell said:

It was still happening after a complete system and VW reboot. And still happened today when I opened that file and tried it.

THEN... I switched Navigation Graphics from "Best Performance" to "Good Performance and Compatibility" and it went away. But the weird thing is that I then switched it back to "Best Performance" the issue didn't come back! How could switching the quality to medium then back to high make the issue go away?

Intermittent bugs are the worst bugs.

This (I am told by minds better than mine) is because when you switch that mode, it restarts/re initializes the graphics module, similar to wiping preferences and restarting Vectorworks, removing anything that may be in the graphics cache.

It isn't SUPPOSED to need that on a regular basis but this explains why having users alter this setting seems to have such dramatic effects. This sort of behavior is still considered a broad scope bug and is being worked on continously.

• 2 months later...

I think those things happen more often again since SP3.

Looks like my geometry disappears completely in 3D OpenGL when I had an Element selected and

set its Layer to invisible again.

Switching to a Top Plan View and back to Isometric OpenGL brings them back instantly.

• 6 months later...

I have been struggling with this intermittent problem for ages - and it drives me crazy.  I have just discovered it has something to do with 'unified view'.  I can't quite work out if on or off is better but what seems to work is, that if items disappear, change the 'unified view' to which ever it is not.  Bingo - I can see what I am selecting and modifying (!). 

1 hour ago, annatreg said:

I have just discovered it has something to do with 'unified view'.  I can't quite work out if on or off is better but what seems to work is, that if items disappear, change the 'unified view' to which ever it is not.  Bingo - I can see what I am selecting and modifying (!). 

I've noticed this too!

And it's weird because the Unified View button will appear to be on, for example, and I click to turn it off, which seems to temporarily fix the issue with the objects disappearing, and then a moment later the button appears to be on again. Or vice versa. Never really figured out the rhyme or reason.

12 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

And it's weird because the Unified View button will appear to be on, for example, and I click to turn it off, which seems to temporarily fix the issue with the objects disappearing, and then a moment later the button appears to be on again. Or vice versa. Never really figured out the rhyme or reason.

There's definitely something up with Unified View toggling itself on or off. Its been going on for a while.

Kevin

• 1 year later...

is there a SP3 for VW 2019 ? I have SP2 and says I'm up to date when ever I check it.

Also, I get symbols disappearing too & can not select then when selecting all items. They come back after closing the file & re-opening it. This happens faster if using a floating view port, which I use to use a lot but now in 2019 can not. This is with any of the graphics settings. And using the middle level of the graphics settings and working on a file for many hours I start getting random objects visible when zooming in & out, even thought they are not really there. That is why I'm hoping for a SP3 for 2019