Cutting Hole in Existing Slab

I am attempting to cut a hole in an existing floor slab. I have placed a stair object below the slab. My goal is to edit the slab as a group by drawing a rectangle around the stair and then cliping the surface; however when I activate the edit group command the slab turns opaque obscuring the stairs below. As there a way to turn the slab transparent or another way to acomplish my slab modifiaction?

i am not sure if your 'slab' is a floor object. did you draw a rectangle and then convert it to a floor under the model menu? if you did, the slab is a 'floor' and can only be edited through the edit group command.

what i would do is draw a circle (or square) over the stair, cut the shape, go into the floor through the edit group command, paste in place the shape, select the floor shape, and than do your clip surface command. grap the pasted shape and delete it, than exit the group. voila! a slabe with a hole in it. hope this helps...