OSX 10.2.8 and VW 10.5

I'm running VW 10.5 in OSX 10.2.8 on a dual 1.25 and is sweet like maple syrup. But the must of my work is plugins developing, not drawing... you may need the opinion of somebody do the kind of work you do!

But the big question now is Panther: Printing, PDF, serials, network, and all this other issues have keep theTech Board busy with 10.2... a few more days to go!

I posted the following response to someones' concerns about OS 10.2.8 and VW 10.5 on the VectorWorks User Discussion List. It should alert you to some concerns we are having with the combination of these two:

I received the 10.5 disk, installed it, and the next day, the hard drive that it was on totally failed (no problems or warnings previous to that. It was the original hard drive that came with my G4.)

What happened was that I was working in VectorWorks 10.5 on a project, talking with Nemetschek Tech Support and all of a sudden I got a message to the effect that VectorWorks was out of memory (I am on Mac OS 10.2.8 on a Dual 500 mhz G4 with 1.5 gb of ram), to save and quit VW. I did so, backed up the file I was working with on my other partitioned drives and my Peerless Backup, restarted and every single one of my back-up files was corrupted. I had copied over good files that were backed up with the corrupted file. Needless to say I was not a happy camper having lost two days of work.

Note that I save my files every five minutes. With Mac OSX and VW10 there have been quite a bit of instability with the program, i.e., unexpected crashes of VW. Allegedly, this is not supposed to happen in the UNIX environment-hah, hah! Maybe Apple should work on this a bit more. We shall see with Panther.

I could not save the hard drive and had to buy a totally new one. I had backed up my other drawings and projects on other partitioned hard drives and my Peerless, but I still lost a lot of information

Last week I had VW crash again and I lost 6 hours worth of work, even though the file had been saved every five minutes. This is pretty scary and very troubling. I did not have to change hard drives again, fortunately.

I guess at this time, I could not recommend to anyone to use the 10.5 upgrade until the bugs are worked out. I do like quite a few features on 10.5, so I have been using both 10.5 and 10.1.2, i.e., going back and forth. But, just like a car you don't quite trust to take out of town-it's ok around the block-I just don't trust 10.5 as yet. I can see from this Discussion List and the Tech Board on the Nemetschek site, that there are quite a few others that are experiencing similar challenges.

I am sure the gang a Nemetschek will work this all out. Okay, I didn't have to say that just because I was featured in the eDispatch this month! They usually seem to get around to the fixes and we all move on for the better.

--

Sam Combs, AIA, NCARB, Architect

Combs & Combs, AIA, Architecture, Interiors & Art

7480 Upper O'Malley Road

Anchorage, Alaska 99507-6207

Phone: 907-346-3990

Cell Phone: 907-250-4207

Fax: 907-346-3990C*C

Email: samcombs@gci.net

Web Site: http://home.gci.net/~combs/

If you run it and it finds problems, that may be the culprit. I prefer the apple created application over Norton personally, but you can do either.

It doesn't hurt to run the apple disk utility either, especially if you are loosing time from instability.

You can alternatively create a new user account. If the problems do not occur with the new user account, you know your old user account has corrupted preferences more than likely.

Usually, new hardware, drivers, software or even updates cause the problem. I make it a point personally to run it after I update or install anything new on the computer. It's better to be safe than sorry.