Dissapearing Extrusions

This is both a question and just a post of an occurrance. The other night I was working in Mechanical 9.5.3 and had begun a profile of a sheet metal part (of no real importance really) and I extruded the largest part of it to .063 thick... no problem then I went about adding a few flanges to the edges and to two areas that extended out at the sides. I did this exactly the same as the main body of the part and was after estruding and then moving the upper return flange in 3d space to the proper height, using the Add Surface command to make the part/now model all one piece. Everything went really well and I was saving the file at each step to preserve what I was doing and then I went back to the "top view" to look at what the drawing was looking like there and then back to the 3d area and noticed that the two extending areas of the main body that I had added two .500 inch flanges to had totally dissapeared! [Eek!] I then after a couple of moments simply re-did what I had done before and then it saved and remained the way that I had created it. Ok, the question of course is... Are there an explaination for such an occurrance? Otherwise I am back at it as normal just kind'a wondering what the heck happened. This by the way was being made all on one layer. Any idea's?

Jerry

Coloredpencilguy's Art Gallery

Hi Jerry,

Unfortunately, there is not enough information to determine what happened. Was it 2D or 3D parts that disappeared? Can you reproduce this? If you can, you can send me the drawing (tomu@nemetschek.net) and I will have a look at it. In the past, things like this have happened to me, but when I try to reproduce it, it never seems to happen again. (I usually attribute this to sun spots. [Wink] )

Tom Urie

It was after extruding... which is what made me do a double-take when I noticed it... However after doing a Curly Joe action I re-made the extrude which was a flange and a return flange it stayed put and the model works ok. You are right and I think that I will attribute it to sun spots. [smile] I am progessing in my knowlege of using the software little by little. The only thing that gets me perplexed any more at this time is layer linking. For the most part I stay on one layer and that seems to be ok for the time being but have come to relaize that combineing both a 2d sheet with a dimension sheet and a 3d version of what I am making requires that at some point I really need to develop a good or better understanding of layer linking in order to separate the 3d aspects of a 2d drawing.

Thank's Tom I hope that you haven't taken my posts the wrong way I know that you guys are kept pretty busy.