Solo Lights

Andy Broomell

Question

The Visualization Palette should have a "solo" option for lights, making it easy to quickly focus just one light without having to worry about the on/off state of all the other lights. (For example if you have 20 lights but some are on and some are off, you wouldn't have to worry about reinstating their on/off state afterwards if you've turned them all off to focus your light).

This would be particularly helpful due to the fact that OpenGL can only display 8 beams, and there's no control over which 8. So soloing a light would give you some control over this, allowing you to work with the light you currently care about.

• Like 2

8 answers to this question

Andy, I feel your pain. And somewhat OT, the notion that one can grab multiple fixtures and change their On/Off state, yet cannot change their intensity without entering a special edit mode and one by one laboriously clicking or slidering a new value creates equal pain. If anyone knows how to make this simpler/more efficient/faster, I'd be much obliged.

Woof Andy, just checked out your portfolio,  dang dude, that's some beautiful work!

Edited by mjm
Saw Andy's work and had to comment
3 hours ago, mjm said:

Andy, I feel your pain. And somewhat OT, the notion that one can grab multiple fixtures and change their On/Off state, yet cannot change their intensity without entering a special edit mode and one by one laboriously clicking or slidering a new value creates equal pain. If anyone knows how to make this simpler/more efficient/faster, I'd be much obliged.

There are certainly other things missing from the Visualization Palette that would be nice to implement. Here's one recent thread: https://forum.vectorworks.net/index.php?/topic/44902-visualization-palette/

One approach to your question might be to highlight the lights in the Vis Palette, right click, choose "Select on Document" then edit the intensity in the OIP with the multiple lights selected. Of course, this fails to work if you're using Spotlight Lighting Devices rather than Light objects. Rendering with Lighting Devices is definitely frustrating since the embedded Light object is so hidden/inaccessible.

3 hours ago, mjm said:

Woof Andy, just checked out your portfolio,  dang dude, that's some beautiful work!

Many thanks! That means a lot. I suppose I could include a link in my signature - something I hope more people do we can see each other's work! It also reminds me that I haven't updated my website in almost a year :S

On 12/14/2016 at 5:14 PM, Andy Broomell said:

Many thanks! That means a lot. I suppose I could include a link in my signature - something I hope more people do we can see each other's work! It also reminds me that I haven't updated my website in almost a year :S

Andy; beyond it meaning something to you, it definitely means something to me and people like me: Here's what can be done with the tools at hand. Seeing the work you and others do here pushes me to extend my skills and practice further.  I do wonder how much of the Pirate ship for ex. was done in VWX & how much in PS.

• Like 1